Makaira or VISX?

Started by pitchinwedge, June 24, 2018, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

The Penn VISX series would not see the same benefit from thrust bearings as say the smaller Penn Torque models. Because standard bearings in the VISX being bigger they stand up well to side load.  Now this isnt a free lunch. Bigger bearings in big reels just dont cast well.  

What the thrust bearing does is allow higher, than in the past, drag levels with great casting in reels up to 4/0 size. Such as the Penn Torque 40.

The bigger reels will never cast as well as smaller models. Your true big game reels now days already have the drag surface area needed to make appropriate drag for their line class. With out cranking the pressure so high as to cause a side load issues with any bearings.

No need for thrust bearings... Jeff

mrwilson99

If getting a Penn, I would send to Alan to get them pre-serviced!
David

Penn

Quote from: Observer on July 01, 2020, 08:50:34 PM
Quote from: pitchinwedge on June 25, 2018, 05:08:37 PM
Thanks for the input, gentlemen.  The VIPER76 looks to be the pick.  As for the reel, it still looks like a toss-up.

Am I correct the Mak 20 uses a thrust bearing, while the VISX 30 does not? Is the absence of this feature even noticeable? Surprising as the Torque 2spds have em.  

FWIW, I am looking into both Mak and VISX series as options as well.

Confirmed via schematic and a phone call to Penn that the VISX does not have a thrust bearing.  My surprise is the same as yours as even the Fathoms have them in their design and I consider the Internationals as their flagship series.

From what I've gathered through this site, the experts here seem to unanimously agree that a thrust bearing is critical to manage handle binding at high drags and to increase the longevity of the other parts.  Angular bearings are size and cost constrained, so thrust is the best option.  

What would be helpful is an explanation from Penn or some of the experts as to how the VISX design manages these issues with the existing design that lacks the thrust bearing.  Perhaps I'll ask this same question in the Penn forums, which may be more closely monitored by Penn.

From the ENG

No thrust bearing in the VI, the same can be accomplished with the ball bearing instead, if it is sized large enough to take the force applied for a given drag.  The ball bearings are sized larger in the inner drive plate and right side plate for this purpose as these are the two that transmit the force from their inner races to the outer races when drag is applied.  For comparison, the ball bearing in the Okuma MAK 30 right side plate is 22mm (OD) x 10mm (ID) x 6mm (h) while the INT30VI reel has a 28.5 mm (OD) x 12.7mm (ID) x 7mm (h).  In other words, the susceptibility of the reel to binding under load (handle hard to turn) is only as good as the smaller of the two bearings that are cross loaded, regardless of if one is a thrust bearing or not.

tony

Gobi King

Thanks Penn guy for the technical ...

Op, buy one of each and fish it and let us know you 2 salty cents.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan