Penn pimping, why did the company never upgrade the old school reels?

Started by CapeFish, June 27, 2018, 11:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Sorry, I hijacked Randy's post on jigmaster upgrades, so here goes,

A question and maybe it has been asked before, if these all metal conversions are so popular, why did Penn never take the simple step and modernise the "old school" range of reels with full metal reels and at the same time reduce that dreaded gap between spool and frame? Is it perhaps because they wanted to move away from the bridge plate design?

Thanks,

Leon

thorhammer

They did, with the US Metal Senator and the Torque. However, those price points are way higher than the standard configurations. Penn's roots in the 30's were to make saltwater angling accessible to the common working population that couldn't afford a Kovalovsky or Fin-nor, and that holds true. You can still buy a Jigmaster new for $62 and catch 99% of anything most people fish for in stock configuration, and a 6/0 Senator at $130 or 9/0 at $150 really has to have a serious fish on to test it. I caught a 250 lb shark on a bone-stock 6/0 that about beat me physically, so I put all I had on it to see what would break first....shark, line, rod, reel or me...actually torqued the rod permanently out of alignment...but the reel didn't flinched under all the pressure I could give it. (The shark lost :)

Ron Jones

Technology moved on. The little fathom does everything a fully updated squidder would do only at a lower price point. The object of a business is to make money and a fully built squidder wouldn't make the money that a newer, easier to manufacture reel does.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

If they continually made upgrades of the old models to keep up with new materials, new processes, new spectra lines, new expectations, new competition, etc, then they would have ended up about where they are today.  Better to keep a few of the old models and introduce upgraded products under different names.

-steve

foakes

We can count hundreds of reel manufacturers that have gone Oscar Bravo (out of business) in the last 85 years —

And maybe only 2 or 3 that are still in business after 85 years. 

Penn is one of the survivors primarily due to a balanced approach to market demand, pricing, proven quality, plus parts and service support after the sale.

Old school values based on what still works — coupled with new innovations.

Just an opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CapeFish

Thanks makes sense, I did not think of it from a marketing point of view and I think I was under the impression there is still a huge demand for the older models, hence all the aftermarket replacement parts, but I have probably been thinking in terms of our small market. Am I correct then in assuming that the aftermarket high end parts is a very small fraction of the US reel market, even if you compare it just to the segment it is aimed at, that being mainly medium to heavy offshore sector, not the overall reel market?

It is fantastic to see what you guys do though, the workmanship is commendable.

xjchad

Plus, if Penn did all of it, there wouldn't be anything fun left for us to do  ;)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Quote from: CapeFish on June 27, 2018, 09:06:35 PM
Thanks makes sense, I did not think of it from a marketing point of view and I think I was under the impression there is still a huge demand for the older models, hence all the aftermarket replacement parts, but I have probably been thinking in terms of our small market. Am I correct then in assuming that the aftermarket high end parts is a very small fraction of the US reel market, even if you compare it just to the segment it is aimed at, that being mainly medium to heavy offshore sector, not the overall reel market?

It is fantastic to see what you guys do though, the workmanship is commendable.

In my opinion, you are pretty close to right, CF...

Most of us are guilty of looking at the world from our little point of view — instead of the larger global picture with all its challenges and opportunities.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mikeysm

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swill88

Isn't that the whole idea behind tariffs? 

Manufacturing jobs here.

Steve

MarkT

Newell was making aluminum spools, bars and bases for Penn Squidders and Jigmasters before making complete reels of their own. Penn had plenty of opportunity to incorporate improvements rather than becoming obsolete. People here are still looking for faster gears and better drags for their Squidders when they've been available for decades as the Newell 220/229/235. Just refer to them as upgraded Squidders and you're good. No difference with upgrading your Jigmaster with the spools, frames, bridges, gears, drags, etc, available here until the only thing left from Penn is the name.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!