Trinidad 14a - do i need new Belleville washers?

Started by pitchinwedge, June 27, 2018, 10:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchinwedge

Is the drag on my Trini 14a is working correctly?

With the star backed off, there is zero resistance on the spool.  Drag continues to be virtually non-existent until the star is almost completely button down. At which point, turning the star is very difficult and just a couple of clicks increases drag from 2lbs to 5lbs to 10lbs+.  Date stamp says mfg in Jan 2018. 

Could the Belleville washers be bad?  They were installed in the () position.  The gap of the inner edge of the washers looks narrow? Some pics of the washers are attached.

Just want to know if this normal or if I should buy some washers and fix it myself, send it off for warranty, or look for some other solution.

Thanks!

handi2

They are a little flat. You also need the part bearing thrust washer. I use these to take up the slack you are referring to. Even on new reels I may add one. Off hand I dont know the size of the main shaft on your reel. If you look at a schematic it will show that part.

The bearing thrust washer is the same exact size as the roller clutch inner tube. This way the washer will not effect or hang up when tightening the drag all the way. You can add a couple to the top of the clutch inner tube. The tube inside the clutch bearing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

pitchinwedge

Thanks for the help handi2.

Damn.  Only 6 months since mfg date and I've never used the reel.  For the few weeks I've had it, I stored it with the drag backed off all the way.  Do these coned disk springs go bad easily? Thinking of getting extra washers for future use.  I plan to order the parts highlighted below.  Do I need anything else?

handi2

If you buy the new spring washers get the 8H only. They are thicker than the light ones. Get 4 or more of the bearing thrust washers. They will fit other reels too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cor

I have been battling with a similar problem on my Tranxes, the washers are certainly "flatter" then the ones shown here.   Thanks for the info handi2!

My only problem is trying to get hold of new ones, Shimano spares or generic stuff like this is very hard to source. >:( >:( >:(
Cornelis

pitchinwedge

I called shimano and they are sending replacement Belleville's only.  Will see how it goes.