The 2065 Spin Wonder Shakespeare Project

Started by mo65, June 28, 2018, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Wow! What a fun resto! I chose this reel out of several similar models to use as a pier reel, it actually beat out some stiff competition. This reel will fish for years and years, and in the long run, be much less expensive that buying a brand new "throw away" reel every season. Working on this reel has been a pleasure...one of the few times I ran into no hiccups. Sure, I started with a reel in fantastic shape, but I've learned that is key to ending up with something top shelf. "Ya can't make silk from a sow's ear"...never were truer words spoken. ;)

This first pic is an eBay photo of the reel I started with. It sure looked unused, but after receiving it I'd say it was just very well cared for.

Upon opening it up, I found out why it was so stiff. Although in this photo it appears to have fresh grease, it was actually so sticky I could lift gears of their posts simply by touching a tool to them. That grease was like glue! The colored arrows show the only three flaws on the reel. The blue arrow points to a busted side plate screw, the red arrow indicates that the anti-reverse lever is backwards, and the green arrow shows that the little red plastic cap is missing from line roller lock nut.

Here's the body all cleaned up. No shims anywhere, every gear rides directly on a post, and it's smooth as any reel from it's era. Not a single ball bearing either. It has excellent bronze bushings. It took fine craftsmanship to press fit all this to be dead on, some great work here. This reel was built in a time when a pressman did his job with pride.

Ready to reassemble, all parts are clean and dry. The gearing is a combination of steel, bronze, and aluminum. This reel has one plastic part...the drag knob. I really like that dealer sticker from the local sporting goods. I bought reels from places like that when I was kid. They're all gone now...we have Lowe's and Wally's...I hate change.

To get a free feeling action I used CorrosionX HD on the gear posts, and Super Lube clear on the gear teeth. It's hard to see, but I also brushed the whole inside with Super Lube since I'll be using this reel in saltwater. I cut a screw to replace the busted one, and I slapped a dab of red plastic bait paint on that line roller lock nut

I had intended to replace the leather drags with Penn #6-155s...but after thinking a bit more...I decided to use the leather. I oiled the leather drags like I've heard guys in the know say to do. The drag is very smooth, and I don't know how long that will last, but it will be no trouble to correct. I have a hunch it will be just fine.

The end product is one sweet little reel. A fine piece of machinery. I spooled it with 30lb. braid in the hope that wind knots would be less of an event than if I used 20lb. It cast a one ounce weight 100yds., only leaving about 50yds. on the spool...I need the deep spool! This reel has the shallow spool...I may have to go to 20lb. braid to get a few more yards to work with. Can't wait to fish this ol' girl! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Nice walk through & comments, Mike. Glad you like it. I see NOS spools for those every now & then on da Bay so you should be able to find one.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

Looks great sir...

Some of the older reels just dont work well with braid. I hope this ones is fine.

The sticker makes the reel!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Nice looking reel  8) I never seen a gear arrangement like that

Marc..

festus

Shakespeare sure made some good reels back then.  Don't think I've ever seen one of those, must have been made in the late 1950s or early 1960s.  Great job!  I remember seeing that reel on ebay because of the Shield's sticker.

Are those about the same size as a 2062?

mo65

Quote from: festus on June 29, 2018, 02:31:37 AM

Yes...they are the same size as the 2062. While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know if the spools will interchange on these two models?

Gfish

Nice Mo. I really like that vintage sticker on the rotor. That was back in the day when guys probably didn't mind somethin like that on their new reel. I gotta say though, pretty blatant ploy at advertising their store. I put stickers on my reels with line types, sometimes upgrades and dates.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on June 29, 2018, 11:14:40 AM
Quote from: festus on June 29, 2018, 02:31:37 AM

Yes...they are the same size as the 2062. While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know if the spools will interchange on these two models?

Yes...........but actually....... NO, Mike, they won't interchange. Same diameter so it will go on the shaft but different height so line won't lay right. The 2065 spool is taller. Here's a couple comparison photos, 2065 (left) & 2062 (right) & one showing the bottom of a deep 2065 spool & the #4827, although that's not the actual number a Shakespeare part box indicates. I don't have a NIB 2065 deep spool so I'm not sure what they used for that part #. A 2070 and 2071 spool will interchange, though, with the 2064 & 2065 reels. They are all exactly the same and have the 4827 # on the bottom of them. I have all those reels I just mentioned and checked all for interchangeability. The last photo shows a 2065 (left) & 2071 (right) for your reference.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Thanks again Tommy...great info...this gives me a few more options for finding a deep spool. 8)

festus

When I first unboxed my 2071 I thought this is an unusually large reel for such a small spool.  Then I compared it to a 2062 and noticed the spool was much deeper, but same diameter.

BTW, yesterday I got 4 rough 2062 in the mail mostly for parts, I'm going to build 2 complete reels and save the others for parts as needed.

Reel 224

Mo: Are you the reel service & Repair guy for the area? If not you should be!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

happyhooker

foakes

Before you pull the trigger and buy a spool, Mike —

Let me look through the old bins of spools.

Recently found a stash of new still in plastic bags and boxes of Shakespeare spools — might be what you need in there.

Tomorrow is an acre or two of weed eating starting early with the DR & Stihl.  Then a couple of honey-dos for Sue like digging holes for trees and such.

Might have time to search tomorrow PM or Sunday PM after Church.

Will advise if successful or not on the spools.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Just beautiful Mo. If I was an old reel, I would wish to end up at your place.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 29, 2018, 08:58:19 PM
Mo: Are you the reel service & Repair guy for the area? If not you should be!

Hee hee...nope Joe...I'm just a guy who likes to work on his reels.

Quote from: foakes on June 30, 2018, 01:36:22 AM
Before you pull the trigger and buy a spool, Mike -
Let me look through the old bins of spools.
Recently found a stash of new still in plastic bags and boxes of Shakespeare spools — might be what you need in there.

That would be fantastic Fred, as I'm having absolutely no luck finding one. Just let me know how much you want for it.

I'd like to thank everyone for their interest and kind words...all the support keeps me inspired. 8)