The 2065 Spin Wonder Shakespeare Project

Started by mo65, June 28, 2018, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Great post Mike, you have that reel looking great now, you will have to call it a Ohana, shakespear, now, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Donnyboat on July 28, 2018, 05:05:40 PM
Great post Mike, you have that reel looking great now, you will have to call it a Ohana, shakespear, now, cheers Don.

Pretty easy to do, Mike, since most SB reels of that time frame were made by Shakespeare. Maybe you could try for an OK-Oreno or True-Oreno-Art automatic fly reel?  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Opinions?
Just rebuilt another maroon series 2062(EB issue). Heck ofa time with the bail spring and the ar dog installation. Removed the glued grease, added 2 shims. Some use wear on this puppy, but good ta go now!
Which do you like? 2065 or 2062?
Most of the stuff in these 2 seems to be diffrent in design( good pictures Mo).
The 2-2062's I done are my brothers. I really like these old Shaky spinners, would you buy a 2062 ora 2065?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on July 28, 2018, 06:58:05 PM
Which do you like? 2065 or 2062?
I really like these old Shaky spinners, would you buy a 2062 or a 2065?

I like 'em both G...but the 2062 is probably the more fail proof design...just by the fact that it has less going on inside. I doubt either one would fail unless abused. I would buy which ever one presented the best deal. Ah hell...just buy both! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

I installed a new EVA knob on this reel's handle...man oh man...best $5 I've ever spent! 8)

festus

I've been waiting patiently going on a year and finally found a deal good enough to pounce on.  This one should be here late in the week.  Looks to be good shape and has both the low and higher capacity spool.  From Mo's pics, these look unique, a design not seen every day.

mo65

festus

I got my 2065 in the mail today and now understand why everyone says they're one of Shakespeare's best.  It only weighs 11.3 oz but has the spool capacity of the bigger Royal Maroon 2071.

Got a problem. This oscillating plate doesn't want to come off.  I removed the c-clips and tried prying it off with a screwdriver, also tried lifting it off with pliers, but it won't budge.  Is there a trick I don't know about to remove it?  Looks like there is still something holding it here where I've pointed the arrow.

festus

Looking at Michael's pics at the beginning of this thread, there should be no obstructions.  Stubbornest thing I've seen to date.  I've already scratched it a couple times and afraid if I keep forcing it, it will bend.  ???

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 02, 2019, 04:33:31 PM
Looking at Michael's pics at the beginning of this thread, there should be no obstructions.  Stubbornest thing I've seen to date.  I've already scratched it a couple times and afraid if I keep forcing it, it will bend.  ???

I've been staring at those pics too Chester...it's not making sense. Maybe the post has a bur or two on it? It should slide right off.

festus

Maybe so.  It's too good of a reel to booger and scratch all the innards, I'm just going to wipe it down inside and add some Superlube.  Came very smooth as it was.

foakes

It needs to come "straight up", Chester.

There is nothing holding it except 50 years...

My approach on these is to just get some Baling Wire — then go under both parts of the oscillation plate — feed the wire up through a hole drilled in a piece of 1 X 2 wood that rests on the edges of the casing.

Then just use a large screwdriver to gently pry upwards the plate.  It also helps to jiggle the handle as you do this operation.  This relieves any angle binding.

The plate will come right off very easily.

From experience, I can attest, the worst thing to do is pry against the gears or casing with just one screwdriver.  The stud will either come off, or the case will be distorted — and that does spoil your day...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on May 02, 2019, 04:45:18 PM
It needs to come "straight up", Chester.

There is nothing holding it except 50 years...

My approach on these is to just get some Baling Wire — then go under both parts of the oscillation plate — feed the wire up through a hole drilled in a piece of 1 X 2 wood that rests on the edges of the casing.

Then just use a large screwdriver to gently pry upwards the plate.  It also helps to jiggle the handle as you do this operation.  This relieves any angle binding.

The plate will come right off very easily.

From experience, I can attest, the worst thing to do is pry against the gears or casing with just one screwdriver.  The stud will either come off, or the case will be distorted — and that does spoil your day...

Best,

Fred
Thanks, Fred, I'll remember your advice save the project for another day.  Tried using two screwdriver,s at the beginning, it didn't help. Already got it back together and it's running smoother since I removed the old peanut buttery grease and gave it some new. 

This reel is cleaner than any of my later Shakespeares.  Runs as smooth as those made later with bearings.  Not bad for 11 bucks plus shipping.

Only other thing that didn't function was the click on one of the spools.  There was a spring out of place. 

Midway Tommy

Chester,

Getting every part out and thoroughly cleansed is nearly a must, especially on those older innards that haven't seen the light of day for two or three decades. There are a lot of parts behind that oscillation arm that could use a little TLC. You can put a little vinegar on the post/washer connection and let it sit overnight. Vinegar is great at dissolving metal to metal corrosion. You'll be amazed at how well it works, and what seemed impossible all of a sudden becomes fairly easy.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)