The 2065 Spin Wonder Shakespeare Project

Started by mo65, June 28, 2018, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on May 26, 2019, 01:43:52 PM
Quote from: foakes on May 26, 2019, 12:36:53 AM
As for power, the way the old timers overcame this was by using the strength of the rod to develop power through a pump and crank technique.

The reel was just mostly a unit to retrieve line.

This is true Fred, and I've always been one to remind folks of it when fighting a fish. The problem is...this pier situation...it goes against the norm. The reel is forced to wind the line up the pier, out of the water, with all the weight on the drive train.

Yeah, I knew you already had this all figured out, Mike —

Just pointed it out for others who may not know the differences in reel engineering.

Pier fishing does present its challenges.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

On another note I've not ever understood the dominance of the spinner on the piers. I see a lot of cases where people are using 20 line & greater. Plenty of conventional style reels will work very well for this with out over working a mechanically handicapped reel.   If limited to a spinner on a pier personally I would go big & use a 270 & pack spools with different weight line & mount on a 2 pc. 9' - 10' rod.

Just speaking my thoughts out loud.... I could be wrong... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 26, 2019, 06:50:38 PM
On another note I've not ever understood the dominance of the spinner on the piers.

I've wondered about that myself Jeff. You'll see a few guys fishing baitcasters like the Abu Ambassaduers, and even on occasion a conventional, but for the most part it is spinners. I'm sure it's just for user convenience...spinners are just easier for the masses to use. ..especially in such close proximity. I'm still undecided on which is best for me. I'm having very good success with my Penn Mag 10 so far, and I saw one ol' dude doing very well with a pair of Zebco 808s!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Interesting discussion. My wife and I always use conventional reels when on the charter boat we use, which has a relatively high rail.
One trip we decided to take a couple spin reels. This did not work and was very uncomfortable and awkward for both of us.
I realised later that the 9500ss Penn that I used actually weighs more than my 113h.
I don't have a use for very large spinners as I don't throw large poppers and the like to big fish. We just bottom fish and troll from this boat.
My biggest spinner now is a 750ss that I use for beach and rock fishing.
The charter boat has some very long handled gaffs.
A 5mt leader of  80lb can enable the use of your hands to pull up fish of about 20lbs from the surface also.
Greg

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: foakes on May 26, 2019, 04:14:23 PM
Just pointed it out for others who may not know the differences in reel engineering.

I feel like I should add something here also...as I don't want folks to think we're saying the worm drive reels are the only reels that will perform the pier task. I saw a few fishermen using Mitchell 302s and 306s. They seemed to be working very well and although they aren't a worm drive design, they are still a simple design, just a main spinning a rotor mounted pinion. I'm thinking that's the 2065's weakness, all those gears. It's looking like simplicity is the key. 

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on May 25, 2019, 09:42:17 PM
  I just returned from VA Beach and testing of this 2065 on the pier. It cast great and cranked smooth as silk, but it had no lifting power. If it had any weight at all on the end of the line, it lost all torque. I thought something was amiss, but after looking it over I'm more inclined to believe it's just the design. My brother's 2062(with a simple worm drive design) didn't suffer this problem at all. With power being transferred through so many gears, I'm wondering if that's where the problem lies? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The photo below shows what I mean by "so many gears". I should add that they are still smooth feeling under load, there is just no power. :-\

Dude, it's all in the wrist action   ;) I used a 300 and 304 pier fishing for years.  We would never expect the reel to be able to crank a croaker up over the rail.  You had to reel the fish up alongside the pier, point the rod at the fish while leaning over the rail and taking up the slack, finger the spool to keep the drag from slipping, and sling it over the rail in one motion using the rod flex to give it that sling-shot effect.  Either that or set the rod down and hand-line it up.  The later would be the sign of a greenhorn or someone who really, really wants that fish.  A long rod helps a lot.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Never pier fished but my imagination likens it to bridge fishing, which I avoid at all costs.  ::) Heck, I'm lucky if I can hoist a fish up over the side of the 16' Lund in my avatar without it flopping off.   ;D Now LMB, Green Carp as they're referred to here in Nebraska, are a completely different story. A few of us hope they flop off before ever making over the edge of the boat.  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

Quote from: mo65 on May 26, 2019, 09:07:04 PM
...I'm thinking that's the 2065's weakness, all those gears. It's looking like simplicity is the key.  [/color]

in my humble, uneducated, tinkerer's opinion:

I think it's the small, thin, straight teeth on the main & 1st/top transfer gear
no significant loss of smoothness or longevity/durability, but sucks for power

there aren't really 2 transfer gears, engaged w/ each other
it's one 2-part interlocking transfer gear, that switches the type of teeth
(cost cutting and/or an inferior system for higher gear ratio)
if the transfer gear were 1-pc. & all the gears were cut the same w/ big slanted teeth,
it would have a lower ratio & same power as the normal "in-plane" worm drives, IMO

mo65

Quote from: philaroman on May 29, 2019, 03:29:29 AM
in my humble, uneducated, tinkerer's opinion:

I think it's the small, thin, straight teeth on the main & 1st/top transfer gear
no significant loss of smoothness or longevity/durability, but sucks for power

there aren't really 2 transfer gears, engaged w/ each other
it's one 2-part interlocking transfer gear, that switches the type of teeth
(cost cutting and/or an inferior system for higher gear ratio)
if the transfer gear were 1-pc. & all the gears were cut the same w/ big slanted teeth,
it would have a lower ratio & same power as the normal "in-plane" worm drives, IMO

Exactly! That's just what I was seeing, the small straight teeth on the main and the transfer gear most likely are hurting the torque. I've noticed the larger 2068 didn't use this labyrinth of gears. Probably explains why it was manufactured longer than the 2065. Probably also explains why the more simply designed 2062 showed up.
   At any rate, the 2065 is a hell of a nice reel when used properly.(i.e. not cranking fish up a pier.) An interesting side note: I tested a few reels by dragging a 6oz. sinker across the lawn...looking for one that had good torque. Would you believe the winner was that Zebco 940 XL? Yeah...the one I just gave a "B" rating! Just like I said in that thread, even second string players get in the game sometimes. 8)

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PacRat

Digressing back a little to the dominance of spinners on the piers. I'm on the west coast. I use to think it was simply because the majority of the pier fishers got their gear at Wally World...which may be partially true for many of them. I had an awakening last summer. I friend invited me to pier fish with him at night. I grabbed a couple Ambassadeurs  and headed out. Everyone was casting out away from the pier and I learned I can't cast for beans at night because I can't see my rig in the dark sky. If I waited until I heard it hit the water it was too late to shut it down with my thumb. After a couple epic bird nests I just started counting to four or five then shutting it down with my thumb. It was cutting into my casting distance but I avoided the bird nests after that. I've since picked up a couple of spinners and I can just cast away and enjoy life without bird nests.
-Mike

Gfish

Quote from: PacRat on July 24, 2019, 06:07:40 AM
Digressing back a little to the dominance of spinners on the piers. I'm on the west coast. I use to think it was simply because the majority of the pier fishers got their gear at Wally World...which may be partially true for many of them. I had an awakening last summer. I friend invited me to pier fish with him at night. I grabbed a couple Ambassadeurs  and headed out. Everyone was casting out away from the pier and I learned I can't cast for beans at night because I can't see my rig in the dark sky. If I waited until I heard it hit the water it was too late to shut it down with my thumb. After a couple epic bird nests I just started counting to four or five then shutting it down with my thumb. It was cutting into my casting distance but I avoided the bird nests after that. I've since picked up a couple of spinners and I can just cast away and enjoy life without bird nests.
-Mike

RIGHT!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Counting to five is a long cast for me.  I'm usually a four.  I don't fish at night but often fish into the glare of the sun and my eyesight is not that great.  I can't usually see the lure in flight.  The reels brakes (centrifugal or magnets) are set so that I couldn't backlash it if I wanted to except when casting into the wind.  There is a little sliding indicator knot that should just come off the spool at the end of the cast and let me know that things are about normal.  But, above all else, I think it is the growl or whirl of the reel that tells me when the cast is done.

Every once in a while I'll use a spinner just to refresh my memory.  It only takes five minutes.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Really don't have anything constructive to add to this discussion.....but.....I've had this unique & neat old 2065 Salesman Sample on my "to do list" in a parts bag sitting around waiting for a handle. I finally picked up a mint broken legged parts reel a couple of weeks ago that had a nice handle so I decided to put this little gem together for display. I didn't see any use in showing all the parts or do a tutorial since Mike and Chester have already done a really good job covering that aspect. I just thought some of you might find this rare little example interesting.

Here's a couple of shots of the body & rotor without any parts and showing the viewing holes.

The next photos were taken after I finished putting it together.

Here's a shot from the handle side. The opening in side of the body allows viewing the anti-reverse dog & ratchet gear and the main gear meshing with the helical pinion gear. The opening in the rotor allows viewing the bail trip action and also how the click dog interacts with the click gear on the main shaft. The spool is cut to view the drag stack so it can be seen in action. The base of the spool is notched for easier viewing of the click dog & click gear interaction. There is also an opening on the back, i.e. bottom, of the body for viewing nearly all the moving internal parts including the oscillation of the main shaft and interaction of the main drive train, i.e. the rotor pinion gear, helical gear, helical pinion gear and main drive gear.

Here's an angle shot that shows the bottom of the click gear.

Here's a shot from the opposite that shows the opening that allows viewing operation of the main gear, level wind transfer oscillation pinion, oscillation gear and oscillation arm. It shows the click gear through the opening in the rotor, too, and the drag stack in the spool cutout.

There aren't many of these unique salesman samples around any more. While we can all open up a reel watch different aspects of it work and imagine how all the aspects work together it's kind of neat to actually watch them all work in unison.  8)

Oh, and BTW, the handle knob is not dirty  ??? , it must be photo glare because in real time it looks like brand spanking new.  ;D

Edit:.... I decided I should post a shot of the opening on the back that shows most of the internal gearing, so here it is.  :)

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !