Rigging a marauder type lure

Started by reel man, June 29, 2018, 10:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

Perhaps others are doing this, but instead of rigging with cable I've switched over 300# mono or flouro, and am getting more hook ups.

I am crimping and using shaffing springs

handi2

On all my Wahoo lures I use 300lb flourocarbon or mono. Ive never used wire or cable. I haven't lost a fish or lure either.

I did lose a 50lb YFT on a Yozuri Bonita lure when the welded ring broke at the same time we were getting the gaff ready. What a let down. I now have HD split rings on all my hard baits for Tuna and Wahoo.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

joel8080

When we lived in both Florida and Panama, I used 300 mono on my Marauder lures I left a 1 inch loop between the crimp and the lure I found it let the lure be more natural in the water.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Reel 224

How about you guys show us some pictures of how you rig?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

I rig mine with short Wahoo-proof piano wire with a loop and haywire twist straight to the eye.  Considered hard mono or heavy floru, since I have caught a number of wahoo on my mono rigged baits.  On the flip side, I've also caught Marlin, and mahi on my wahoo baits that are rigged with braided cable.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

That's right John. Most of our big Wahoo catches are when Billfishing. Fish over 80lbs.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

300 lb mono wont do if your marauder is attacked by a wahoo.  Those teeth slice through anything except wire and cable.  I use splice cable on my marauders.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.