The Saga of the yellow cap

Started by mrbrklyn, June 30, 2018, 04:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I wish there was something to be done about the Yellow caps on the spool adjuster to prevent them from coming off.  They seem to always get lost.  I always thought it was someone elses mismanagement until it happened to me.  I need to send two reels in for this and maintenance. 

Penn

I am sorry I am not sure what you are referring to with "yellow cap".  Which reel is giving you trouble?

tony

Penn

There is a little spring inside the cap (26D), overtime the ears compress and will result in less tension being applied.  To fix this just bend the ears out slightly more to give for more resistance.  Also the O-ring (120) helps the cap from backing out but like most rubber parts needs to be replaced occasionally.

tony

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

RowdyW

It's not a matter of ratio that will rip a hook out, it is a matter of lowering the drag to have a little less tension on the line & less shock to the fish.      Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on August 26, 2018, 02:04:19 AM
It's not a matter of ratio that will rip a hook out, it is a matter of lowering the drag to have a little less tension on the line & less shock to the fish.      Rudy
I agree!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Did you ever think about turning the handle slower to acheive the same result?  :P I'm sure those heavy, hard fighting porgies don't need the winching power of a low gear ratio reel. Maybe you need to spend less money & get a Penn 113 4/0 with a 2.0:1 ratio.

Swami805

The fish spin if you bring them up fast from deep,slow and steady wins the game. Pumping the rod has the same effect,just turn the handle.
The local party boat here fishes 200-360' every day and the deck hands swear by fishing mono instead of braid thinking the stretch in the line absorbs the shock better resulting in the fish staying on the hook. Hard to argue with guys who do it every day. That's just for fishing bait, with jigs braid gets the nod so you can shake the jig loose from the rocks when you get hung up.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

Take a 113h for instance it has equal or more drag & more then double with a little bit of modifacation, more durability, and drops a hunk of lead just as well as more expensive reels. Spin rate, are you surface casting plugs for Porgies? I would fish for them straight down. That's what this forum is all about, how to work on your reels to make them better then original & better then high priced reels. It's also enjoyable. Try it there is much more satisfaction in doing it yourself then just paying someone to do it.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Most times steady steady is the way, Good luck in the future Ruben. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tunanorth

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 26, 2018, 01:45:58 AM
So everything came back today, the Torque 12 and the Torque 30.  Excellent service from Penn as usual.  They didn't have the versa gears to drop the ratio on them available, which was a bit of a bummer.  I felt I really need to drop the ratio of these reels.  It actually brings to me a question as to why these are not available, especially the smaller sized reels, in a 2:1 ratio.  It comes in the dual speeds.  For the small reels, 12,15,25,30's, these reels are really just too fast for most fishing I see.  It is not even an issue of power.  Even a stripper will just rip off the hook with a 6:1 ratio spin.

Tony may chime in here, but at least up until recently, the Versa-Gears were still available at the factory individually, though the "sets" were gone.
Also, Ken's custom Reels in Oceanside, CA had several "sets" for sale when I was there a week ago.

Penn

captquint99

I understand exactly what mrbrklyn is conveying with the gear ratio. Fish for porgies aka scup with a high gear ratio reel and you will drop a lot of fish. An expert scup fisherman with a surfmaster, having no wasted movement, knowing how to hook  bring in 30% more double headers than the normal fisherman is just a thing of beauty. I won't fish the high gear ratio reels for porgies. You can however use one of the high gear ratio reels with a more modern design and better drag if you don't fill the reel to capacity with line thus slowing it down. 

Keta

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 26, 2018, 02:42:58 AM
You can only work the drag so far.  If you bring the fish in like a rocket, it will go off the hook regardless of the drag setting.

Crank slower.   For most of our needs 4:1 is about right.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Frank

I have always found 4:1 to be my perfect ratio for just about everything.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.