Squeaky Chronarch 101A

Started by GearHead, August 09, 2011, 06:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GearHead

This reel has just returned from a professional service but now has a squeak mostly noticeable as it slows down almost to a stop after I spin the handle. I can also hear it if I turn the handle slowly. Oddly enough it is much more pronounced if I turn the reel upside down. This occurs with or without the spool in place and seems to be coming from the worm shaft. I have disassembled and reassembled the level wind... several times! The bearing appears good. I have cleaned and lubricated the complete level wind mechanism but the noise continues. It 'seems' to be coming from the retainer clip at the end of the worm shaft that fits into the frame opposite the handle side although I can't say for sure. Any ideas? Any pointers on diagnosing a squeak?

I believe that the anti-reverse bearing was replaced when the reel was serviced. I assume that the drive shaft and worm shaft bearings were cleaned and lubed at that time. They appear OK to me. I was told that the spool bearings would need to be replaced at the next service so I just swapped out the spool bearings with BOCA ceramic hybrids.

alantani

quick answer.  remove the spool, hit the reel with a blast of corrosion x spray, then blow out all the excess corrosion x with compressed air, then wipe down the reel with a clean cloth, then install the spool and give it a spin.  the problem with a squeak like that is that it could be anywhere.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pro Reel

That is probably coming from the back up anti reverse dog. It's a steel clip that fits over the ratchet washer . If the AR bearing slips, then it catchs the ratchet gear and stops the reel from spinning backwards. Maybe your cleaning guy didn't grease the edges of the ratchet gear and thats the sqeaking sound. The dog is located right inside the frame under the end of the worm sgaft you are refering to. It clould get worse while it's upside down as it would slide down a bit. many people remove that dog and leave it out. It's only a backup and the reel will be smoother without it.

PS.  I hate it when I see folks say that they got thier reel back from a professional service, and are not happy with it. My company is named  professional Reel Service. My website is  www.proreelservice.com

I didn't work on your reel, but some might think that I did. LOL

GearHead

Quote from: alantani on August 09, 2011, 06:41:16 PM
quick answer.  remove the spool, hit the reel with a blast of corrosion x spray, then blow out all the excess corrosion x with compressed air, then wipe down the reel with a clean cloth, then install the spool and give it a spin.  the problem with a squeak like that is that it could be anywhere.  alan

I don't have any corrosion x spray. I suppose I could find some and try it. But yeah, it could be coming from anywhere... and it is definitely driving me crazy trying to find it.

GearHead

Quote from: Pro Reel on August 09, 2011, 07:59:55 PM
That is probably coming from the back up anti reverse dog. It's a steel clip that fits over the ratchet washer . If the AR bearing slips, then it catchs the ratchet gear and stops the reel from spinning backwards. Maybe your cleaning guy didn't grease the edges of the ratchet gear and thats the sqeaking sound. The dog is located right inside the frame under the end of the worm sgaft you are refering to. It clould get worse while it's upside down as it would slide down a bit. many people remove that dog and leave it out. It's only a backup and the reel will be smoother without it.

PS.  I hate it when I see folks say that they got thier reel back from a professional service, and are not happy with it. My company is named  professional Reel Service. My website is  www.proreelservice.com

I didn't work on your reel, but some might think that I did. LOL

OK, I'll check that.

I have mixed feelings about the service that I received. I sent in about ten reels. I chose to have them professionally serviced because they were quite old and had been out of service for several years. I thought that a professional would catch and fix things that I likely would overlook out of inexperience... and overall, I believe that he did a good job at that. In fact, he was quite professional and called me before replacing some parts and even replaced some parts at no charge. So in general, I believe that he did a good job.

However, I was surprised that the reels still had a lot of dirt and grime on the outside. I had to clean each one myself. I didn't mind doing that but I sorta thought that they would come back looking like new - except, of course, the things one would expect of their age and use. But... finding the dirt on the outside gave me cause to question what kind of job was done on the inside. I haven't opened all of them up yet... I'm simply choosing to believe that he did a good job on the mechanical aspects of the service. I have replaced all of the spool and spool shaft bearings with new Bocas but as you know, one doesn't see much of the inside of reel doing that little job. I tore down this one Chronarch because it was not casting as well as the others and was making some noise... and then I noticed the squeak.

GearHead

Well its toast now. I'm gonna have to toss the whole thing in the spare parts box unless someone around here knows where I can find a left side plate for a Chronarch 101A.

I just stripped he part on the side plate that the level wind guide screws into... and I was not over-tightening. I was being very careful.

And... it still squeaks.

Dang! I have plenty of other reels but I am fond of every one and I hate to see any of them bite it.

Oh well... good excuse to buy a new Core.

Nessie Hunter

When it rains it pours!!!   Sorry for the bad luck....

If it was MY reel and not a customers..  For the Level wind guide ~ I assume your taking abot the chrome small bar the top of level wind rides on??  Screws in from other side??
Being a cheapo - I would try some Alum Foil in the hole and try and get a bite with that?
It only guides with no pressure on it???

The Squeak...  If it is at a certain point in the wind (say 2 ocklock or ??) then it may be dry Pinion rubbing the Yoke or Spool shaft?? 
If not then I would got right to the bearing/bushing UNDER the main shaft.. 
No one ever lubes it (I always do)..  Dry = squeak?????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

GearHead

Yeah... this is a left hand reel. The guide screws in from the right side plate into the left side plate. BNT1347.

Pro Reel

Shimano might still have some, call customer service and order one. Bass pro rod and reel has surprised me many times with the parts they have for old reels. dads ole tackle has a lot of shimano stuff. I could track one down for you somewhere, if you want to send me the reel and it won't squeak when you get it back, it will also be as clean as the day you bought it.