AVET SX grinding noise

Started by Natarach, July 01, 2018, 04:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I have several averts none of them sounds like that.

Natarach

Here's some information about AVET noise ( may not related to my issue .I just found it and think it may helpful for someone)

Anyway, Finadict seems to be an AVET's staff as someone mentioned in the thread.

source: http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/community/threads/28477/

Ps. It's from year 2010

Fishy247

I crunched a pinion bearing on my Avet SX 2 speed back before I understood how to set the drag properly and it didn't really sound like that. The clicker on my SX is very quiet though. It almost sounds like your clicker is quiet like mine and is engaged. Otherwise, you can always get some grease on the gears and load it up with line, then test it.

Mike

Norcalfish80

Having a similar problem here. Not a new reel though. Disassembled it but honestly have very little experience fixing such issues. Nothing looked immediately broken or out of place. Anyone in Northern California have experience working on these? Happy to drive a ways as long as it's cheaper than replacing the reel. Was pointed this way for advice.

mahfudzmn

Quote from: Natarach on July 02, 2018, 05:18:26 PM

It sounds like this but not very loud like this.

Hi, thought I'd share some experience with my few Avets and also servicing a few other units

The noise in this video in my opinion, is the gear noise. If I have to guess further, it's some pretty dry gears. Avets have stainless steel gear, and typically straight cut rather than diagonal or helical gears (I think My JX 6/3 has straight, but my MXJ seems to have diagonal). So the material and gear type tends to elevate the noise a bit as compared to brass and helical gears, that doesn't sound like the pinion bearing. But for pinion bearing it's more on feel and tightness which might not be shown in the video. So if this is your case, I don't think anything's wrong with it, especially after some Penn blue grease you mentioned.

But do take Alan's advise, give the pinion bearing a check...it's true they say plenty of idiots destroying reels they didn't buy at the shop...