Spooling Braid No Line Winder

Started by Rivverrat, July 01, 2018, 05:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Keith, Jeff,
Danke, time to load some braid for pier fishing in Gulf Shores.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

cwillis85

I used the same meathod to secure to the arbor but I use a fathom master bolted to a baby gate. Place a cordless drill with a socket fitted to the handle nut to wind onto the fathom master, then set my desired drag and crank onto the reel.
Chris

Rivverrat

Quote from: cwillis85 on July 04, 2018, 01:49:10 PM
I used the same meathod to secure to the arbor but I use a fathom master bolted to a baby gate. Place a cordless drill with a socket fitted to the handle nut to wind onto the fathom master, then set my desired drag and crank onto the reel.

Here we go !  The use of a cordless dril.
I knew if a enough people participated we would start seeing some good & better ideas.

One them things that causes me think

" Now Why Didnt I Think Of That "

Thanks for this Chris... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: Gobi King on July 04, 2018, 11:56:11 AM
Keith, Jeff,
Danke, time to load some braid for pier fishing in Gulf Shores.

Just be sure you to get wound on tight over tag of your
Knot. Let us know how it goes... Jeff

Gobi King

It worked,
I loaded 40 lb braid on to daiwa legalis 4000,
I was able hang 12 lb weight without drag or spool slipping. I was not able to turn the handle on the daiwa though, so I am not sure how they advertise a 24 lb max drag on these.
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

I've been using an home built line spooler for a while now. My findings are simple - take em or leave em - MORE than 10lbs (sometimes even 8lbs) of drag - just ain't worth it. I have never found it winds on more line. My simple theory (and I'm always open to correction ;)) once you have taken out the initial stretch of braid there is nothing to be gained by applying more drag.
I have re-spooled between 10 and 20 lb of drag with no difference in line capacity :-\ So why bother with more than 10lb drag - it sure makes life easier :)
Just my 2 cents.

Rivverrat

Got to admit what I said about getting more braid on a spool with tension above 10 lbs. Is something that was repeated to me so often I had just come to believe it.

Ive done zero verifiable test of any kind that show its true or false.

.... & now I must say your post has me questioning this.

Which is a good thing!

Thanks For That Chris... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: Gobi King on July 05, 2018, 08:43:37 PM
It worked,
I loaded 40 lb braid on to daiwa legalis 4000,
I was able hang 12 lb weight without drag or spool slipping. I was not able to turn the handle on the daiwa though, so I am not sure how they advertise a 24 lb max drag on these.

Oh No you'll have a hard time turning the handle on most any spinning reel set at that level.

Has to do with gearing & machanical leverage... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

If a fish is pulling any drag (on a spinning reel) why would you want to crank the handle ???
Cranking while line is being pulled is a sure way to get twist in the line.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 06, 2018, 01:04:39 AM
Got to admit what I said about getting more braid on a spool with tension above 10 lbs. Is something that was repeated to me so often I had just come to believe it.

Ive done zero verifiable test of any kind that show its true or false.

.... & now I must say your post has me questioning this.

Which is a good thing!

Thanks For That Chris... Jeff

Jeff - the only caveat I would add is I didn't do my tests with lots of different braids (just a couple). There could be some braids that stretch more than others. I have used Fireline Tracer and cheap PRC hollow braid (this cheap crap is actually working well for me and its really easy to splice down to 30lb :))

Gobi King

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 06, 2018, 10:48:02 AM
If a fish is pulling any drag (on a spinning reel) why would you want to crank the handle ???
Cranking while line is being pulled is a sure way to get twist in the line.

Yes, cranking while fish is running = twist.
I was testing my pier fishing solution, no way in hell I will be able to crank it up from the water with anything more than a few lbs, I will have to use a pier net.
pump and crank and swing it over the railing is my usual method but in gulf shores the pier is 20 to 30 ft above the waterline.
Fichigan

RowdyW

When I fish from a pier once the fish is right below me I just grab the line, set down the pole, & hand over hand the line up to the pier. If it's a real heavy fish then you will either need a hoop net or walk it in to the beach.       Rudy

Gobi King

Quote from: RowdyW on July 06, 2018, 12:47:31 PM
When I fish from a pier once the fish is right below me I just grab the line, set down the pole, & hand over hand the line up to the pier. If it's a real heavy fish then you will either need a hoop net or walk it in to the beach.       Rudy

Rudy, yeap, I hand lined a few last time I was there.
Fichigan

AJ

Quote from: cwillis85 on July 04, 2018, 01:49:10 PM

Cordless also works great for reeling in the kite when kite fishing.

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 05, 2018, 11:19:46 PM
MORE than 10lbs (sometimes even 8lbs) of drag - just ain't worth it.  My simple theory (and I'm always open to correction ;)) once you have taken out the initial stretch of braid there is nothing to be gained by applying more drag.

I agree, when you fish a reel for the first time you cannot put 10# of pressure when retrieving the line.  A couple of pounds of pressure with your fingers is about the best of us can do.  Yes sometimes you can let the line out behind the boat and get more pressure on the line not at every stop.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: conchydong on July 01, 2018, 08:50:01 PM
I have also used the "Jerry Brown" method for years when winding braid onto the spool with 100% positive results. No tape and a long tag with some wraps over it.

Scott
what is the "Jerry Brown" method of spooling braid.