Noisy Shimano Curado 300 DSV

Started by shimanoME, August 09, 2011, 06:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shimanoME

Hi all,

I'm new to the board, but I frequent this board a lot for reel maintenance tips and help.

The problem I am having is that my Curado 300DSV is a bit too noisy. You can literally hear the pinion and the main gear working together when I'm reeling.  They are not grinding. This has been going for quite awhile now and the reel has no problem casting or reeling. I'm planning to upgrade the bearings and the drag soon and want to do all of it in one shot.

Anyone might know what may be causing the problem?

alantani

quick answer.  remove the spool, hit the reel with a blast of corrosion x spray, then blow out all the excess corrosion x with compressed air, then wipe down the reel with a clean cloth, then install the spool and give it a spin.  the problem with a squeak like that is that it could be anywhere.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Board4life

Quote from: alantani on August 09, 2011, 06:57:34 PM
quick answer.  remove the spool, hit the reel with a blast of corrosion x spray, then blow out all the excess corrosion x with compressed air, then wipe down the reel with a clean cloth, then install the spool and give it a spin.  the problem with a squeak like that is that it could be anywhere.  alan

Would this process work on most reels rather than dealing with the grease or is the grease a must on the gears? That corrosion x is some amazing stuff.

shimanoME

I don't know if this would help, but the best way to describe the noise is the sound of an RC car being manually pushed around.

Pro Reel

It's more than likely a spool bearing. A gear problem will have alternating bad spots. An even, slightly rough feel is usually caused by a rough spool or pinion bearing. The bearing may even fell fine while it's oiled, but clean it completly and give it a soft spin while it's dry and it will feel like it has rocks in it.

alantani

you can cheat like this, but only after the drags have been greased with cal's grease. if you get corrosion x onto drag drags, they will stick. 

shimanoME

So after taking my reel apart I found that the the drive shaft is really wobbly. There are no parts missing so I'm not sure as to why its like that. So since it wobbles so much the drive gear, which I've referenced as the main gear, tilts to a point where its bottom edge will be working with the pinion gear; therefore causing the grinding noisiness. The noise amplifies when mounted on the rod.

Is this a flaw in my reel? Should I send it to Shimano for warranty?

alantani

you can call them at 877-577-0600 and ask, but that is quite common when the reel is apart.  the drive shafts are much more stable when the reel is together.  alan

Pro Reel

I have to echo what alan posted. I have worked on doxens of the 300 curados and all of them have a very wobbly crankshaft while the reel is apart. The AR clutch holds it completly stable when the side cover is on. I really am quite positive that your problem is a spool bearing. Clean all the gears and if none have any sign of wear, then it's a bearing. The spool bearings may feel very smooth if you just roll them slow while they are oiled, but if there are any rough spots inside, then it will transmit a vibration during cranking that feels just like a gear grind, but it's an even feeling.

Master Chief

Under the pinion gear is a plastic bushing that can be replaced by a bearing. It is most likely cracked or broken and in need of replacement. It is attached to the bottom (spool side) of the pinion and is held on by a c-clip. Replace with the bearing or get the replacement plastic bushing. Most likely the cause of a wobbly pinion shaft.