Fenwick LB844

Started by CooldadE, July 02, 2018, 02:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I have a rod I built for my father about 35 years ago. It is a Fenwick Model LB 844.
He has since passed away and I want to use the rod.
I can't find any info on the blank. I would like to find out the line rating and application of this blank.
Thank you...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Swami805

I'm thinking 8', pretty soft tip? Been awhile since I've seen old fenwicks and I've forgotten the model #'s. Honey glass?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

It is what it feels like to you!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

Yes Honey Glass. 7' long soft tip strong back.
It's deffinatly not a 12# blank. Feels like a 30 or 40#
Thanks for the input ...

Cool

CooldadE

Quote from: CooldadE on July 02, 2018, 02:48:59 AM
I have a rod I built for my father about 35 years ago. It is a Fenwick Model LB 844.
He has since passed away and I want to use the rod.
I can't find any info on the blank. I would like to find out the line rating and application of this blank.
Thank you...

Cool
[
I thought I would put this out again in case some new members might have info on this honey gold blank.

Cool

Bryan Young

It's a live bait rod. Soft tip to toss anchovies and great backbone to bring in most fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CooldadE

Yes Bryan, it is all that. I was hoping to find out the factory line rating for the rod. Thanks for the reply...

Cool

jurelometer

LB = Live  Bait. (Thick walled butt)
84 = length in inches
4  = power rating

A power rating of four is on the light side.  The Fenwick catalogs that I could find online from that era list action, power and  lure weights, but not line ratings for the LB series.  The LB-846 pops up quite a bit, but not the 844.   Here is a post with a catalog photo:  https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/676230-anyone-have-any-old-1970s-80s-era-spec-sheets-for-fenwick-and-harnell/#comment-11856960

If you look at the 847 and 846,  it should help you get a good guess on the 844.  The catalog above listed the blank as Fenglass,  which should mean it is built with S-glass cloth.  Don't know if the color helps much for the ID.

Are certain that it is an an 844 and not an 846?

You might want to ask your question on rodbuilding.org.  There are several old-timers there with catalogs, including a guy that worked at Fenwick during the eighties. 

-J

happyhooker

Have seen an '82 Fenwick catalog, and the specs there for the LB846 "Pacificstik" are the same as in jurelometer's link, except that the butt dia. is given as .910 and the action is described as "moderate".  Mentions "gold" color, although there also seems to have been a brown with the same specs (maybe not Pacificstik?)  No 844.

Frank

CooldadE

Quote from: jurelometer on October 13, 2019, 07:00:32 PM
LB = Live  Bait. (Thick walled butt)
84 = length in inches
4  = power rating

A power rating of four is on the light side.  The Fenwick catalogs that I could find online from that era list action, power and  lure weights, but not line ratings for the LB series.  The LB-846 pops up quite a bit, but not the 844.   Here is a post with a catalog photo:  https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/676230-anyone-have-any-old-1970s-80s-era-spec-sheets-for-fenwick-and-harnell/#comment-11856960

If you look at the 847 and 846,  it should help you get a good guess on the 844.  The catalog above listed the blank as Fenglass,  which should mean it is built with S-glass cloth.  Don't know if the color helps much for the ID.

Are certain that it is an an 844 and not an 846?

You might want to ask your question on rodbuilding.org.  There are several old-timers there with catalogs, including a guy that worked at Fenwick during the eighties.  

-J

Pretty sure it's a LB844...

Cool