Penn Mag Tuned 10 testing

Started by JRD, July 02, 2018, 04:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: mo65 on September 28, 2018, 04:42:25 PM
   I'm surprised we don't see more of these bridge pins coming loose with all the power handles and upgraded drags we put into these reels. I don't know where to find those stock magnets Randy but eBay is loaded with similar size magnets...maybe do a search. 8)

I'm with you there, it wasn't horrible but I changed the bridge any way before I hurt the sleeve itself.

xjchad

Quote from: JRD on September 28, 2018, 05:33:05 PM
That's great Chad, thank you!!!  There is still hope to get my target species (Yellow Tail)  this year and I'm sure the reel will handle it just fine.

No Problem Randy! They are in the mail now!

Quote from: JRD on September 28, 2018, 05:33:05 PM
I'm waiting to see what the monster mag does!

Me too!  As soon as I get the frame back, I'm going to go play  ;D

Husband, Father, Fisherman

mhc

Quote from: JRD on September 28, 2018, 05:40:12 PM
Quote from: mo65 on September 28, 2018, 04:42:25 PM
   I'm surprised we don't see more of these bridge pins coming loose with all the power handles and upgraded drags we put into these reels.

I'm with you there, it wasn't horrible but I changed the bridge any way before I hurt the sleeve itself.

The Mag 10 bridge is a little thinner than other bridges at ~ 1.7 mm  for the 3-10 compared to ~ 2.0 mm for the jigmaster and 210 brides and ~ 2.4 mm for the longbeach 3-66 bridge.
Not sure if that would be a problem but I think it would give the peened sleeve post a little less 'ground' to support it.  ???

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

xjchad

Randy,
Did you get those magnets?

JRD

Back together with a new bridge just in time to get in end of the season limits of 5 to 6 lb Bonito.  These things Fight Hard!

The more I think about it the more I feel like I caused the bridge to flex by horsing the bigger Bonito in without allowing the rod and the drags to do their thing. I don't feel like I'll have another bridge failure even fishing this real as hard as I will keep doing.

JRD

5 months fishing on the new bridge.  4 days ago hooked a mystery fish in 200 feet of water off a canyon.  Of course I only had a 25lb top shot so couldn't really turn it and had to let it run.  Twice into the final 50 yards of spectra based on Alan's stop light spooling method and it finally came towards the boat fast, about 50 yards out it turns and just gone!!  This is bigger than anything else I've hooked on this reel. New 25lb test just broke clean about 15 feet from the hook.  I was hoping a giant yello tail but it was likely a spring time thresher.  Anyway the familiar wobbly handle is back.  

Level wind parts are pristine still, not so the bridge.  Can anyone save me some time with the part numbers at McMaster for the under sleeve stainless shims they are using on the jiggy / squidder bridges?

Ron Jones

I'm finihing thelast of last years smoked bonita tonight. Man is it good, great job on that.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: JRD on April 01, 2019, 08:33:02 PM
5 months fishing on the new bridge.   

Level wind parts are pristine still, not so the bridge.  

It sounds like you've identified the weak link...not so sure it's really a weak link though, as it performed very well until that giant fish stressed it. I think it's safe to say a Mag 10 can be pushed pretty hard. Great fishin'! And thanks for the report. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JRD

I finally hit the target species for this reel but it turned out to be a baby, no real test for the reel.  Every time I hooked a yellow tail this year I've always had a different rod and reel set up in my hands.  I'm going to keep trying for a bruiser.

mo65

That looks like a cool catch to me Randy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Yeah man.  There's nothing wrong with that.
-steve

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

Quote from: JRD on September 21, 2019, 02:28:59 AM
I finally hit the target species for this reel but it turned out to be a baby, no real test for the reel.  Every time I hooked a yellow tail this year I've always had a different rod and reel set up in my hands.  I'm going to keep trying for a bruiser.

pound per pound YT pull harder than many fish of the same size and weight, so I say thats a really nice catch with the ilttle reel

The Baja Guy

xjchad

Randy,
Have you tried playing with the shimmed bridge yet to see if the helps?

JRD

Not yet Chad, my fishing benches sit gathering dust as my work is interfering with my passion.  Soon though and will let you know if it resolves the bridge wear - which I'm sure it will.