Penn Mag Tuned 10 testing

Started by JRD, July 02, 2018, 04:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Sorry to hear about all the work getting in the way of your fishing Randy  :(

Hopefully it clears up soon and you can get back on the water!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Donnyboat

Thanks Randy for the reports & updates, nice pics, and thanks MHC, Mike for your good info on the bridges, it looked to me that the beveled & eared washers, need a good honing out in the centre, so they do slide freely, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Lingwendil

Any updates on this setup? I've been fishing a lovely stone stock Mag 10 (courtesy of xjchad, thanks again!) on a 7' "medium" Ugly stik lite Pro as my primary rig the last few months, and love it so much that a Penn 210 is going to be delivered today, and I may have to do a jigmaster handle and a 5+1 stack on it :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

thorhammer

Jigmaster has 24-66 handle; I put them on all my 210 / 209's. 24-49 is the next one up and really has long throw. I replaced my stock 10 handles with 24-310's; they have an extra half inch or so vs. stock 24-155 the Mag 10 comes with and a nice modern football knob ans stainless blade. These are my go-too rigs for schooley stripers; I just made sure all have greased carbontex drags and they fish 20 lb that I use quite fine.

John

JRD

Quote from: Lingwendil on February 10, 2020, 05:38:26 PM
Any updates on this setup? I've been fishing a lovely stone stock Mag 10 (courtesy of xjchad, thanks again!) on a 7' "medium" Ugly stik lite Pro as my primary rig the last few months, and love it so much that a Penn 210 is going to be delivered today, and I may have to do a jigmaster handle and a 5+1 stack on it :)

The update is that I can't break this reel no matter how hard I try.  It goes with me on every trip and has caught most of our inshore SoCal fish and a few pelagics.  The under sleeve shims solved my bridge wear issues.  I use Bryan's 5 stack with no issues.  I had 210s but let them go since Spectra gives me enough capacity on the Mag 10 and the drags are more than I need.

I like counter balanced handles and use either Accurates or Motives on mine with Alan's EVA knobs.  I do have one that I'm testing Okumas ergo knob handle from a Cortez  on and really like it so far. 

xjchad

Quote from: Lingwendil on February 10, 2020, 05:38:26 PM
I've been fishing a lovely stone stock Mag 10 (courtesy of xjchad, thanks again!) on a 7' "medium" Ugly stik lite Pro as my primary rig the last few months, and love it so much that a Penn 210 is going to be delivered today, and I may have to do a jigmaster handle and a 5+1 stack on it :)

Glad it's working out well for you!  These are great reels!  I'm really excited that I was able to re-aquire my greem Monster Mag, and I'm starting a new Mag 10 build soon as well  :)

Quote from: JRD on February 10, 2020, 07:15:39 PM
The under sleeve shims solved my bridge wear issues.

I'm so stoked that those shims solved that issue Randy!
PS-  your 10-49 adapter shims are done.  Working on the levelwind deletes now.

Rocket Dog

Just picked up my stock m10 and looking to join the club....  ;D

xjchad

Quote from: Rocket Dog on April 18, 2020, 12:29:01 AM

Congrats! Mag 10's are awesome reels!

JRD

Quote from: Rocket Dog on April 18, 2020, 12:29:01 AM

Down the rabbit hole!!!  Make room in your reel bag because your gonna want more than one.

JRD

Over 2 years now and I finally found the limits.  Yesterday I went 4 for 6 on Yellow Tail up to 35lbs.  One 17 pounder on the Mag 10 using 50 lb braid and 30 lb flouro.  Caught on the Wax Wing, a first for me.  Quite a lot of questions and comments about a little old level wind and the crew were not behind the idea of me using this little reel.  They quit talking after the first fish.

The second fish blew up on the Wax Wing and headed for the reef, there was no stopping him as he could pull 15 lbs of drag at will, I saw fresh spectra many times.  Drags were flawless, level wind was perfect (great noise when the level wind mechanism is going a million miles an hour). No clamp as I was using a reel seat but absolutely solid!  Everything worked fine on the runs, it was turning the handle where problems start.

I've got an Accurate counter balanced blade with a Black Pearl EVA knob and could feel the drive train flex every time I tried to gain line.  I'm just able to overpower the bridge with the leverage of the bigger handle.  

When I pushed too hard on the handle I would get enough flex in the bridge to start hearing bad noises from the gears as the interacted in a bad way with each other and I'm guessing the bridge.

So not to completely grind the inside to pieces I lightened the drag and tried short pumping the fish to use the rod more than the reel.  Bad idea as the fish just kept taking more than I could gain.  He finally found something rough and sharp to break me off on.  Unfortunately he is still wearing a Wax Wing as a piercing.

I will post details once I tear the reel down but I think the quest to find a breaking point is over.

I love these reels and will always grab one to go on a trip but the need to test it to destruction is gone for now.

A shout out to:

Alan T for the SS sleeve
Keta for the SS dog
Brian for the Drags
Chad the seat spacers and sleeve shims
Mo and Chad for the idea
Ted for the seat
Randy P for the Arm
Alan C for the knob and bridge screws and star
There are also JDL and Mystic parts in there as well.

mo65

Great work Randy...looking forward to the report. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Alright, this great thread continues...
What do think about the possibility of frame flex and(or) head-plate stability as maybe a precursor to the bridgeplate stud("pin") tweaking?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JRD

Quote from: Gfish on September 09, 2020, 07:13:49 PM
Alright, this great thread continues...
What do think about the possibility of frame flex and(or) head-plate stability as maybe a precursor to the bridgeplate stud("pin") tweaking?

There's absolutely no frame tweaking or flex, you'd feel it as the level wind would be out of alignment and free spool would suffer.  It never happened.  As far as plate stability I don't see that as an issue these plates are pretty robust.

What seems to be the problem is the plate opening where the sleeve and sleeve spacer go through leaves enough room for the sleeve and spacer to move around when winding under heavy loads and flex the bridge.  Short of an AR bearing mod to hold the shaft aligned in the plate I'm not sure how to change the result.  I guess you could use a thicker sleeve spacer but then may end up with extra drag on the drive train when reeling.

I'm going to accept that asking more for that much drag when reeling is beyond my ability to mod the reel.  I'm confident this will take down fish up to 15lbs using a drag setting up to 8-10 lbs,  but over that it will start ruining bridges. 

xjchad

I love all the mods, testing, and feedback in this thread Randy!
Awesome work and so cool to see such quality fish landed with the Mag 10  ;D

Maxed Out

Nice Randy, nothing like real world first hand testing limitations of a reel. Sounds like you had some fun fishing. Any weight estimate on the one that kept taking line at will ??

Maybe add an old school leather thumb brake to turn the fish your way
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!