Penn Mag Tuned 10 testing

Started by JRD, July 02, 2018, 04:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 09, 2020, 11:26:50 PM
Any weight estimate on the one that kept taking line at will ??

Ted they always seem bigger when you don't land them.  😁.   It felt way bigger than the 17 pounder and with way more attitude.  My other three fish were in the 30s and the large YT on the boat that day was 42.  The other fish came on a Tern 400 and Komodo 471P both on stouter 20-50 lb 9 foot rods.  The Mag 10 was on a 15-40lb 8 footer.

Honestly I thought I had him and I sorta regret turning the drag back to save the reel. 

Bill B

Great read brother.  Glad you kept at it until the failure occurred. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JRD

I tried fishing the reel again yesterday without tearing it down, well stupid is as stupid does.  Small 1 lb Bonito and it goes full knuckle buster. 

Torn down today and unexpected failure appeared so maybe I'm not giving up with testing this to destruction just yet.

The main gear sleeve pin is still tight in the bridge.  There is it less wear from the sleeve on the bridge thanks to Chad's shim but the base of the sleeve pin is worn down pretty good.  Unexpected is that the AR dog pin is slightly bent which allowed the dog to raise up and chew the tip off the dog and round the teeth on the sleeve, both stainless.

So I think that double dog simultaneous engagement would distribute that stress over 2 dog pins not one.  I've got to look at it and see if the bridge screws can be used as the dog pins which would really strengthen the AR.  I've got a sheet of 316 coming that I will hand fashion dogs out of.   I'm also going to turn down a thick spacer to minimize bridge sleeve slop where it goes through the plate.

I think though that this goes way past the point of reasonable investment for most people in this reel and it will be aways back in the queue and behind actual fishing of course.  But I'm going to keep going just because I can.

My only camera is my phone and it wouldn't capture clear shots but here are a few.

mo65

Quote from: JRD on September 19, 2020, 02:00:17 AMUnexpected is that the AR dog pin is slightly bent which allowed the dog to raise up and chew the tip off the dog and round the teeth on the sleeve, both stainless.

So I think that double dog simultaneous engagement would distribute that stress over 2 dog pins not one.  I've got to look at it and see if the bridge screws can be used as the dog pins which would really strengthen the AR.

That stock AR dog was one of the reasons I decided to go with a "4-stack" type drag and keep my drag power under 15 pounds. At the time I modded my Mag 10, I wasn't well versed yet in AR dog mods.
  I'm a firm believer that the strongest AR system uses the bridge screws rather than bridge pins. My only personal AR dog failure was, like this, the pin type. Also, this failure demonstrates why I use brass dogs. In the event of a failure, only the $2 dog is chewed up, not that $30 ss gear sleeve!
  Thinking about it...I wonder if just moving the dog to a bridge screw would handle the pressure. That would be a lot easier than putting two on a bridge screw. This research has been a blast Randy, great work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~