Fishing Pole and Spooling braid

Started by Reel Beaker, June 16, 2018, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

philaroman

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 19, 2018, 03:18:47 PM

what did he do wrong?

1) spiraling your line around the pole is for natural wood (usually, bamboo -- as conchydong explained); w/ fiberglass it's unnecessary; w/ abrasive braided lines wrapped around the entire thin-wall blank -- it's downright stupid...
he's NOT "spreading the load" -- he's impeding the action of the blank & damaging it by friction
(if you don't trust the manufacturer's tip-top attachment on a cheap pole, pull it off & reattach w/ good epoxy...
better yet, get/make something pole-specific & whip it on w/ thread, like a rod guide)

2) because the line is so short w/ no drag & no back-reeling, you specifically want good, cheap, STRETCHY plain-nylon mono (Berkley Big Game, Trilene XL, etc.) -- NOT, low-stretch lines like Dacron or PE braid

3) loop-to-loop leader connections are best for fishing on the surface, but if your baited hook is going to sink, use a swivel for stronger connection & twist reduction

...when you search, "pole" is too vague -- try "long pole fishing" or "Whip pole fishing" & add a geographical area where it's popular, for most concentrated useful info...  e.g., https://www.google.com/search?q=korean+long+pole+fishing&rlz=1C1CHBF_en&oq=korean+long+pole+fishing&aqs=chrome..69i57.25011j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reel Beaker

These fishing poles by shimano seem pretty good. Definitely pulling fish that are bigger than panfish.

The only thing that turns me off is the made in indonesia label.

Anyone knows how long these poles are? They dont seem to indicate the length on the pole itself other than a model number.

philaroman

hey, I thought you wanted to know about CHEAP long poles...
the really good ones (20m / 60'+) cost more than a decent rod+reel
& use premium Japanese CF (graphite) regardless of where made...
Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia -- all good, if you PAY!!!
http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole.htm

ruth2835

If you decide to build your blank grab a used sewing machine at yard sale.  easy to put the but of the blank to the drive by using a glued crutch tip.  Makes winding the thread over the guide seats a breeze and you can get really creative with the patterns.

Reel Beaker

I went back and looked at the pole and apparently i was wrong. There isnt even an eyelet at the top of the pole. It is just a telescopic pole with an elastic band attached at the tip of the pole. What is this? Isnt it kind of filmsy trying to wish with an elastic band?

I asked the store personnel on how to attach lures and line to this pole but apparently they didnt know either.

oc1

The video of the guy with the telescoping pole is sort of comical.  It is like he is trying to make it difficult for himself.  I don't know.... maybe all light tackle fishing is just a matter of making it difficult for yourself and making the fish feel like it is larger than it really is.

Compare the video above to photos and videos of old-school skipjack boats.  They use just enough rod length to get the bait out and then hoist the fish on board in one swoop with a stiff pole.  If the fish are too big for one person to hoist then they use two people and two rods to hoist one line.  It was a job for them and their system evolved to be as efficient as possible.

-steve