Fin-Nor Machine Industries Reels

Started by 54bullseye, July 05, 2018, 02:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Well it was 94 degrees and really muggy in Mass. today so spent the afternoon in my COOOOOL cellar messing with reels. Here are three Fin-Nor Machine Industries reels a big 15/0 very heavy duty well made reel !! A 12/0 more common reel and a hard to find narrow 10/0. Fred Greiten started making Fin-Nor reels in the mid 1930s and built them into the mid 1940s and in around 1945 he sold the company to a guy named Guetti and it was renamed "Fin-Nor Machine Industries".  Guetti made reels for only a couple years and the word was they didn't stand up to Greiten's quality standards !! From what I can see they were very well made rugged reels and I don't see where they aren't up to par with Greiten's reels but I have never fished one.

In 1947 Guetti defaulted on his loan that apparently Fred Greiten held the note on and Greiten took back the company. So these reels were only made for a couple years. One thing I have noticed about them is just about every piece on them is serial numbered the numbers are on everything !! Any way here are some pictures of the 3 reels. I will have to make several posts to fit them all. Notice the Large Dunkin's Iced Coffee next to the 15/0 just to show size of it !! It is a big very heavy reel. The last three pictures will show close ups of the tail plates and serial numbers of the three reels with 15/0 first then 12/0 and 10/0 .   Thanks for looking and if anyone has any more of these please post them !!     John Taylor

PS these pictures can all be blown up with a tap from mouse !!

54bullseye

More pics with the serial numbers. I have another 12/0 Fin-Nor Industries reel mounted in a Nep-Tuna cradle that was posted on ORCA a few years ago here is the link.    http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=19070          Thanks again for looking !!   John Taylor

RowdyW

Great to see those old Fin-Nor's. Whenever I see or hear of one it makes me think of Zane Grey and Hemmingway. To me nothing says giant Marlin & Tuna better then an older Fin-Nor.      Rudy

54bullseye

They were really well built you can feel it when you crank the handle very smoooth !! Also very heavy compared to other big reels. Thanks Rudy !!  John Taylor

Rivverrat

These are some very cool old reels that I get to see very little of.  Thanks for shariring... Jeff

Penn Chronology

Here is short article about Fin-Nor. I cannot remember where I got it from; but, I enjoyed it enough to save it. They really are very special reels.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!