The Heddon 499

Started by mo65, July 07, 2018, 12:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I love the old Heddon reels. Many times you happen onto one that looks like it never got wet. Some Jigmaster got fished to death while this gem slept on a cushion...HA!! When this thing arrived it would hardly turn...odd for a near mint reel. Popping off the side plate revealed the problem. The first photo shows a wad of mono that was stuck in the pinion. Picked that out and she freed up nicely. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Thanks Chad. I think they are cool reels too...but I guess nobody else likes them because they weren't the most reliable fishing tools. Actually, I have seen lesser built reels receive a warmer welcome. Daiwa sold tons of spinning reels that wouldn't hold a candle to this Heddon 205-R. :-\

xjchad

You've really got my attention now Mo!
I'm going to start looking into the Heddon stuff more. Looks like neat gear with some fun history to learn about!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

philaroman

that conventional looks mighty close to Dolphins & red Kmart's (Olympic OEM)

Maxed Out

The 499 is a purty reel for sure.

One thing I noticed on mine is it looks much bigger than it is. The levelwind mechanism takes lot of space and that makes the spool smaller than it could be if it had no levelwind

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

festus

Yep, that Heddon 499 looks as good as any of the high dollar green Penn conventionals.  BTW, how big or a reel is it sizewise, like say compared to a Peerless 9, 209, or 309?

mo65

Quote from: festus on July 08, 2018, 01:52:51 AM
Yep, that Heddon 499 looks as good as any of the high dollar green Penn conventionals.  BTW, how big or a reel is it sizewise, like say compared to a Peerless 9, 209, or 309?

It's a dead ringer for the Peerless 9.

Gfish

The bridge plate looks kinda funny. What's it made outta?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

Heddon didn't manufacture any of their branded reels. But they did market a few winners. They had a bait caster made in Sweden -- I forget the name or number -- that was every bit as good as the classic Ambssadeurs. It had a unique and extremely neat level wind mechanism. Maybe someone can pos a picture of one?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mhc

Very tidy reel Mo - maybe the line got tangled around the pinion early in it's life and it was retired instead of opening it to find the problem. Whatever the reason it wasn't fished hard was, you've added another nice reel to your growing arsenal.

Quote from: akfish on July 08, 2018, 11:22:51 AM
Heddon didn't manufacture any of their branded reels. But they did market a few winners. They had a bait caster made in Sweden -- I forget the name or number -- that was every bit as good as the classic Ambssadeurs. It had a unique and extremely neat level wind mechanism. Maybe someone can pos a picture of one?
akfish, I did a quick search on line and came up with this reel - is it similar to what you remember?
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on July 08, 2018, 06:15:56 AM
The bridge plate looks kinda funny. What's it made outta?

Same stuff Penn makes 'em outta...good ol' brass. Maybe those machined "dots" are making it look odd. All the components under the hood look very Penn like. 8)

mo65

Quote from: akfish on July 08, 2018, 11:22:51 AM

The Heritage is one of the few Heddon reels that commands higher prices...understandably...being made in Sweden.

Swami805

That's an interesting little reel, what's the lever in the front?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: Swami805 on July 08, 2018, 01:14:32 PM
That's an interesting little reel, what's the lever in the front?

Hard to believe...but that is the freespool control. Here's some Heritage info:

"In 1962, Heddon and Victory marketed a technologically advanced baitcaster called "Heritage" that had the potential to give Ambassadeur a run for its money. Besides being a high quality reel of sound construction, the Heritage offered advanced, if not superior features, Its "Monitor Cast Control" is an ingenious system that solves the primary problem with centrigfugal brakes. That is, in order to compensate for different lure sizes, most reels, (such as the Ambassadeur) require disassembly in order to change out the brake blocks or clutches. Monitor Cast Control allows the fisherman to choose among four different settings, no control or three different brake weights simply by flipping a switch! The loop at the top of the level winder, and the fact that the level winder leans forward when the spool is disengaged results in less line drag during the cast. Unlike the Ambassadeur and most other baitacasters, the Heritage is a true free spool reel (called the "Total Free Spool" by Heddon). That is, the spool fully disengages from all mechanics during the cast, including the level wind mechanism. The results in longer cast difference and less wear of moving parts."