Bamboo and double guides

Started by gstours, August 27, 2019, 05:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: Crow on October 03, 2019, 12:52:31 PM
Is this the type of lumber you guys are discussing ?

https://www.westwindhardwood.com/product/hardwoods/greenheart/

Yeah, thank you very much Arlyn.  Your googling skills are much better than mine.  That is the first time I've seen a species name for green heart, Ocotea rodiei.  I ordered a three to four foot stick from West Wind Hardwood.  The estimated shipping is forty bucks.  We'll see what happens.  Oh, and thank you for the heads-up about the exploding lumber too.

-steve

Crow

As to that "exploding" lumber.....I'll share a story:  I , for quite a few years, had a sawmill, and cut a lot of local, hardwood logs, into lumber, and turning squares ....did lots of 'wood working", in those days, and made woodwork, cabinets, doors, etc., for 3 different houses. A "farmer friend" said he had a black cherry tree that I could have, if I wanted it. It was the "tallest tree", in his small stand of timber, and was continually being struck by lightning, and, the "last strike" had peeled the bark, all the way to the ground, and he figured it was either dying, or, already dead. Anyway, I cut the tree (probably 18", at the butt), cut it into "manageable " lengths, hauled it home, and when fall came, I started sawing it. each board...starting with the "wane" (bark side), and continuing all the way trough the log, came off in "long splinters"! From looking at the cut end of the logs, everything appeared "normal", and the "cant" (the , as yet un sawed chunk of log) appeared normal as well....but as the saw passed down it...all splinters !! Stopped trying for boards, and just made firewood from it ! It burned well :P.  When talking to an "old time sawyer" (who happened to be an uncle of mine) later, about it, he said that "lightning blasted" trees usually did that, and, often, the whole log would "shiver" (his term for falling into a pile of slivers !) when the saw first touched it.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Quote from: Crow on October 03, 2019, 08:53:58 PM
   As to that "exploding" lumber.....I'll share a story: 
That's a wild story.  Reminds me of those pictures you see of graphite rods struck by lightening.  They turn into a ball of fuzz when the heat burns away the resin and leaves the carbon fibers.  I guess trees have their resin too.
-steve

Dominick

Great stuff on this site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

wonder if "lightning blasted" trees would make better/quicker charcoal

since all the resins(sap), oils and alcohols are already burned/evaporated out