Studying the Mitchell 410

Started by mo65, July 07, 2018, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Update for Mike —

Red bail bumper mailed today — ETA Wednesday in Ohio.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on July 07, 2018, 05:53:55 PM
Fred,

Wildlife abounds on your property,

Do you see Oriole's from time to time??

With all my time in the high Sierra Nevada Mountains over my  lifetime,

I have never seen a Bullock's Oriole!!!!

Maybe sometime.....

Wayne

See the Yankees and Baltimore coming this Sunday.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Got the bail bumper today. Had to dig the post from the original out of the hole, gave it a few swipes of alcohol, and glued the new bumper on. Thanks again Fred, this reel is 100% now. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Nice!
I think I may need something similar for the Heddon 277 I just got.
Trying to find a schematic for it.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

PaJay

Any chance I could pick up a couple of these bail bumpers? Trying to make everything as much as original as possible.

foakes

PM me your full name and mailing address.

I will send a couple out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

grekim

Nice work Mo!  How does the 410 compare size-wise with the 306/406?  As for vibrations, I have a 300 that works perfectly, except that I have always wondered if the vibrations were really supposed to be there.   I may need to expand my Mitchell collection into more territory although I have my fishing needs covered.
Educating fish on every trip

Midway Tommy

The 410 is basically the same size as your 300, as is the 400. The 400 & 410 are high speed versions of the 300 and the 410 has roller bearings at the rotor instead of a sleeve bearing.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PaJay

Quote from: foakes on September 09, 2018, 12:59:06 AM

Best,

Fred

Pm sent. Thank you!

foakes

Quote from: Pajay on September 10, 2018, 01:23:15 AM

Best,

Fred

Pm sent. Thank you!

As per your request, Jay —

(4) new red bumpers are on their way to you — in Pennsylvania via the US Postal Service.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Mike: I saved up my money as a worker on the Dairy Farm to buy a Mitchell reel and went fishing when ever I could for Trout and Cat fish on the lake near by and on the three ponds on the farm. Those were the best days, a kid and his special reel and rod. ;D ;D.........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

PaJay

Quote from: foakes on September 11, 2018, 10:25:58 PM
Quote from: Pajay on September 10, 2018, 01:23:15 AM

Best,

Fred
Thank you very much Fred!! Just don't run across guys like you anymore! Much appreciated!!

Pm sent. Thank you!

As per your request, Jay —

(4) new red bumpers are on their way to you — in Pennsylvania via the US Postal Service.

Best,

Fred

Irish1

Quote from: mo65 on July 12, 2018, 10:43:04 PM
   Got the bail bumper today. Had to dig the post from the original out of the hole, gave it a few swipes of alcohol, and glued the new bumper on. Thanks again Fred, this reel is 100% now. 8)

Hi .... I have a question? Are these rubber bumpers made to be glued in or does the rubber fit tight enough in the hole that it was just a press fit? I saw on another site on a repair someone had put WD40 on the post on the bumper to get it to slide in. I was planning on trying to glue mine in also and just wondered how they went in when installed by Mitchell. Thanks .... enjoyed your post!

smnaguwa

Hi, I have a 410. It's not very pretty but I fashioned a bumper from an old windshield wiperblade, using the blade part as the post and shaping the rest with a sharp scissors.

gumpie44

Hello All......I Have a collection of Mitchell Reels , Including 510, 410, 400, and many others that use this bail bumper, My 510 I bought in 1972 and still fish it on rare occasion, The Reel Is Very Durable But The rod Not So Much. A while back I got some Bail Bumpers And AR dog (Thanks Fred ), But Due To The Scarce Supply I Make Leather ones for my user Reels. Have a leather Punch Like Tommy, found a Garage Sale Ferrari red ladies belt for $1.00, punch out as needed, Glue to bail, replace as needed no harm to reel,  Also have other reel  with similar stoppers , Heddon and
Early Penn spinners. On Some Reels The Missing Bumper Will Cause line lay Problems.
:) Barry

P. S.  Moe, Glad you Got Your 410 !!!  Like Your reviews a lot.
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast