Venison Osso Bucco

Started by ChileRelleno, July 07, 2018, 08:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

I've been meaning to do a Venison Osso Bucco since January, have had the shanks in the freezer ready to go.
Finally got off my arse and on a mission in the kitchen to make some Venison Osso Bucco.

Venison Osso Bucco

Venison shanks from a young buck that my 12yr'ol son took earlier this year.
Smoked over Cherry for a few hours, smoker temp 250°, no IT taken as it really doesn't matter.

I started out with a traditional Mirepoix, but my Southern Boy kicked in and I added bell pepper.
I cooked my Mirepoix over high heat with both olive oil and butter to get some good browning on the vegetables.
Beef broth and stewed tomatoes
Instead of the traditional White wine I opted for Red to better compliment the Venison.
Then added in Rosemary, Thyme, Bay leaf and Lemon Zest.
Put the smoked shanks in a brought it to a boil for a few minutes, then transferred to an enameled roasting pan.

It is slowly braising in the smoker now (no smoke), stay tuned for the finale.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Okeydokey...

I will be making Osso Bucco again.
I'll probably not smoke whatever meat I use for it, I felt the smoke flavor was in conflict with the dish.
A quick browning as per the normal recipes will better serve with it's deglazing adding more flavor to the dish.
And browning with the flour contributes to the normal stew like consistency of the sauce, this was more a broth.
Another thing was the Red wine, I should've cut back on it, it too overpowered a bit, but it did go well with the venison.

Still, overall the dish was pretty darned good.
Always amazes me what low and slow cooking can do for transforming a tough piece of meat into succulent morsels.
The venison tender at 2.5 hours, it spoon tender and falling off the bones at the end of a 3.5 hours.
My wife said, this is just another version of Pot Roast.

You can see all the connective tissues broken down

I served it over mashed potatoes

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

conchydong

Yum! Great way to use a under utilized part of the deer. I do Lamb shanks in a similar fashion but carefully remove them from the cooking liquid when they are finished and give the veggies and liquid a spin with the stick blender to make a thicker sauce. With lamb, I usually skim a little of the grease off before thickening it though. Venison isn't as fatty.

Keep up the awesome cooking,

Scott

Alto Mare

Nice ossobuco!...do you put the red wine in the pot while the meat is raw?
We usually fry it at high heat to get it browned a bit and add a glass of red wine afterwards.

This is our standard procedure with any meat we cook, as when making gravy for pasta.
I actually get upset if my wife doesn't put a couple of spoons of that oil from frying the meat on a slice of bread, before she adds the tomatoes.

Good stuff as usual Chile, I agree, slow cooking will make anything taste good.

Keep'em coming!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies/compliments.

Sal,
I smoked the shanks first, I didn't take an IT but I estimate they were on the low side of medium rare.
I didn't Brown and deglaze with the wine, it went into the vegetables and stock, then added the meat.
Ragnar Benson:

Dominick

John that is the answer to good cooking.  Do it and then analyze the results.  It is always better the second time to correct the little goofs.  Sal is correct in the wine deglazing aspect of browned meats.  I know you know that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 09, 2018, 02:59:03 AM
Nice ossobuco!...do you put the red wine in the pot while the meat is raw?
We usually fry it at high heat to get it browned a bit and add a glass of red wine afterwards.

This is our standard procedure with any meat we cook, as when making gravy for pasta.
I actually get upset if my wife doesn't put a couple of spoons of that oil from frying the meat on a slice of bread, before she adds the tomatoes.

Good stuff as usual Chile, I agree, slow cooking will make anything taste good.

Keep'em coming!

Sal

Sal: Do you use Lamb Shank?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Used to Joe, but no one eats it at my house, unless my brothers come over.
I do enjoy lamb chops.
At Easter, depending on how many are coming, I will usually cook the whole spring lamb on the grill,
while brushing it with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and lots of fresh rosemary.

Sorry Chile for pulling away from your shanks.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Don't be sorry, we're talking food here... Talk away.

I like lamb/mutton, only others that like mutton is my two boys.
I love herb crusted lamb chops, medium rare,  simply succulent bliss.
Ragnar Benson:

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 09, 2018, 10:12:41 PM
Used to Joe, but no one eats it at my house, unless my brothers come over.
I do enjoy lamb chops.
At Easter, depending on how many are coming, I will usually cook the whole spring lamb on the grill,
while brushing it with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and lots of fresh rosemary.

Sorry Chile for pulling away from your shanks.

Sal

I love lamb, We use to make spring Lamb with Evoo and lots of Garlic and parsley in pies for Easter. I didn't mean to hijack this post but Chile's post got me going. ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."