Senator Handle Knob

Started by Rivverrat, July 08, 2018, 10:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 10, 2018, 02:21:25 AM
Alex, been doing that since I was around 12 years old... Jeff

when I was starting fishing seriulsy all local guys didnt pay attention on drag settings or drag readings on the reels, they just pull the line from the reel and set the drag depending on the targeted fish (and 80% still do it that way), so, I was taught that way on my begginings, all changed when few years ago I found alan tani and invited me to this site and I started learning about how reels work, as you say LD reels are easy to know the drag settings, but on star drag reels I used to put a non-noticiable mark on the side plate and another on one of the points of the drag star to know my max drag to estimate the usable drag when I moved the star fordward or backwards, you way seems easier than mine, anyway all my marks are already erased, so I might just add that cord thingy when I found a time to do it,  sometimes I just set the drag the old way, just pulling the line from the reel 70% of my fisheries are no bigger than 5-12 pounds, no need to play with the drag readings that much.
on all my LD reels I do set the drag with a scale to save the bearings with a really nice scale I have on my tool box ;D ;) ;)
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Alex, knowing the drag level with a full spool is only the start of it.
You know with 30 - 40 line a fella thats fished a bit can easily set those lines by hand.  However I fish my 60 line like most fish 80.  I know pretty close what my drag actually is after a long cast or while drifting a float a ways out in the current. 

It really amazes me the number of people that will make a "Swinging For The Fences Cast" having no clue how much their drag increased with all that line out. When it comes down to it, this is really important stuff to know to some degree... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 10, 2018, 09:58:34 PM

It really amazes me the number of people that will make a "Swinging For The Fences Cast" having no clue how much their drag increased with all that line out.

I have had really hard time explaining that to some friends, they swear drag keep steady always no matter how much line is out from the spool.
but ooh well, you cannot expect to win all battles.
The Baja Guy

rippin_lips

Quote from: steelfish on July 10, 2018, 11:37:11 PM

It really amazes me the number of people that will make a "Swinging For The Fences Cast" having no clue how much their drag increased with all that line out.

I have had really hard time explaining that to some friends, they swear drag keep steady always no matter how much line is out from the spool.

If you want to get technical, they aren't wrong the drag doesn't change.  What changes is the torque, or moment, the line can impart on the spool based on the moment arm which is now reduced by the height of the line on the spool.  Moment is the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation, so as the line height reduces the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation reduces and more force is needed to create the moment to overcome the resistance created by the drag.  SCIENCE!

nelz

... and in plain English, it's all about leverage.  ;D

Fuller spool creates a longer "lever", which pulls off the line easier.

steelfish

Quote from: rippin_lips on July 11, 2018, 04:58:44 PM
Quote from: steelfish on July 10, 2018, 11:37:11 PM

If you want to get technical, they aren't wrong the drag doesn't change.  What changes is the torque, or moment, the line can impart on the spool based on the moment arm which is now reduced by the height of the line on the spool.  Moment is the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation, so as the line height reduces the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation reduces and more force is needed to create the moment to overcome the resistance created by the drag.  SCIENCE!

so true, well, at the end with less line on the spool you will have more stopping power
The Baja Guy