Labors of Love — Quicks, Mitchells, Cardinals, Penns & other Golden Age Spinners

Started by foakes, July 11, 2018, 05:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

After nearly 3 years of dropping and managing about 190 very large Ponderosas on our property for fire safety — now is the time to get caught up on new builds, restores, repairs, and servicing of reels for regular clients and friends on our site.  Did most of the tree work myself, since I could not afford to have professional tree companies do this work.  Learned a lot, got in pretty decent condition, and lost 36 pounds.

Down to about 22 new requested builds from the parts bins — 54 service and repair jobs — and a few for myself, as time allows to break things up a bit.

Last week was D-A-M Quick builds and restores — did 9 completes from scratch, and a few service jobs, sent out a few parts to our members.

Starting off this week with DQ's again, and a few Mitchells.

Doing some of the Supers first — for John, Dennis, Daron, and Lou.

Then will get to the 265, 110, 220, 221, 330, 308, 300, and others for our members who have waited patiently — Thank You All!

The Supers were manufactured for about 9 years, starting in '54.  There were many variations — but all were basically the same — overbuilt, bulletproof, well thought-through and engineered features, top quality materials seldom seen in those days, and even less evident today in our graphite/plastic/Tupperware world of what passes for fishing reels.

These were the years when high drag numbers and a lot of bling, really did not matter.  

It was simply an angler with his/her favorite reel, a good quality long rod for playing the fish appropriately, and a certain amount of skill and experience.

The first Super coming off the bench later today will be this 1954 270 Line Counter for Lou.

Full restore, the parts above the tray were replaced.  All interior and exterior rust was removed.  Parts polished.  All will be lubed with modern lubes, and micro-tuned for smoothness and function.

Wife came in the shop yesterday, watched for awhile — then asked why it was necessary to clean all of the tiny screws, gears, and small parts inside the reel that didn't show?

I felt like telling her if she had to ask that question — she also would not understand the answer...

But...I just pleasantly explained that everything operates better, and my clients are happy, even if they do not know what is inside the case.

We had a nice BBQ last evening, and watched a little TV before heading to bed.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

WOW Fred, you've made the frame and associated parts look like new! I'm impressed! :o

This is going to look great next to my mint condition 270 2 speed. I appreciate you taking  this on for me.

The shop is still busy and went out this morning to look at a Di Acro Brake Press. If I can negotiate a reasonable price, this piece of equipment will allow me to make precision bends on material up to 3/16".
thick. I can really use this for one of a kind's and prototypes! It will definitely make life easier.

Thanks again Mr. Oakes and please give my regards to Sue,  ..  Lou

Midway Tommy

Looking good, Fred! Do you use anything special to clean the residue & discoloration off of the counter disc & window? I've got a couple, 260 & 270, that are pretty stained and require some TLC when I eventually break them down. Don't want to fade or discolor the paint. One of mine, BTW, has the white disc.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

A very light cleaner just carefully rubbed across the counter wheel with a Q-Tip, Tom.  Like Fantastic, or similar.

Never had any luck restoring the discolored clear window — I have a few, so I just replace them.

I am sure that one could be cut out of some clear material.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I bet you're glad to see that timber project coming to a close Fred, I know after three years I would! I'm hoping to see more of these posts, I enjoy reading about Fred's reel work. I can attest to the quality of that work too. I had him build a 308 Mitchell as a gift for my brother, and my brother has fished the heck out of that little Mitch. Who knows how many trout it has landed in 3 years...including this slob of a 'bow!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

That truly is one of the nicer trout I have seen--beautiful fish.

Frank

theswimmer

Fred we have had our hands full.
I have one more small deck and some scattered stuff to clean up and then we are done!
I do have three stubs about 15 tall that my PG&E wire was in but with the new power pole those are clear and just waiting for Niles to find time for.
What a mess , but our danger from fire is much lower😁
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Fred , by the way,
Courtright has been kicking out some solid fish 😎
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tightlines667

Enjoyable post.

Great to hear you are getting back after the builds. 

I am excited to get the reels, though I am certainly in no rush.

That trout is beautiful.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Sent this one to Lou today.

Working on Daron's, Dennis's, and John's now.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Great Work Fred.
Those look Awesome! ;)
I look forward to fishing a reel that was made 11 years before I was born.
I ain't no spring chicken either.
Life is Good!