Another Custom knob

Started by 54bullseye, July 12, 2018, 01:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Beautiful work ..      The end caps can be screwed off to gt to the delrin ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

54bullseye

The Delrin end caps were pressure fit / pressed in before the ends were shaped. He drilled 3/4" holes in Aluminum and left Delrin 2 thousands oversized and pressed them in.    John Taylor    PS I wish I had a piece of the Red stuff Sal used on one of his knobs.

STRIPER LOU

That's some very nice work that gentlemen does John and I can really appreciate that. The knurling is perfect!

If Sal doesn't have any, I may have some short pieces of acrylic, probably and inch long, possibly and inch and a half.  Not sure as to colors.

I know I have 2 pcs of fire tiger, black and gold. What are you looking for? I keep all short ends as they always get used for one thing or another. I do a lot of inlays.

By the way, its the icing on the cake for that beautiful reel. I'm located in Wallingford.

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

bhale1

......you guys never cease to amaze me...wow
Spectacular!!!!
Brett

David Hall

Fits that 20/0 like it was born there.  And that little socket is truly a special tool.

redsetta

Quotethis thing is a art work, loving the socket thingy for the penn nuts
x2 - really impressive work and a great compliment to 'the beast' 20/0
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

54bullseye

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on July 12, 2018, 08:01:21 PM
That's some very nice work that gentlemen does John and I can really appreciate that. The knurling is perfect!

If Sal doesn't have any, I may have some short pieces of acrylic, probably and inch long, possibly and inch and a half.  Not sure as to colors.

I know I have 2 pcs of fire tiger, black and gold. What are you looking for? I keep all short ends as they always get used for one thing or another. I do a lot of inlays.

By the way, its the icing on the cake for that beautiful reel. I'm located in Wallingford.

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Hi Lou
I might be interested in some of you Acrylic pieces but not sure if 1.5" is quite long enough. How big is the rod ? I would need 1" minimum. Let me know. Can you send me a few pics ?   I live by Sturbridge, Mass.  Thanks Lou !!   John

STRIPER LOU

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25279.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21772.0

John, the fire tiger is the top pic. I have 2 pieces 1.130 dia and 1.180 dia about 1 3/4 long.

The second pic is the red. I have 2 pcs 1.030 dia and 1.050 dia about 2 1/8 long.

The colors may vary a bit but if these work for you, they're yours N/C.

Let me know and have a great evening,  ..  Lou

54bullseye

Lou I would love to try them !!  The Red is sweet to ! I have no problem buying them they must have cost you something !     PM sent    John Taylor

STRIPER LOU

John, there is no charge. A lot of people have been kind to me here on the forum and Its just a way of paying it forward.

Please PM me you address and I get them out early next week.

all the best,  ..  Lou

Marcq

Quote from: AC49 on July 12, 2018, 02:06:12 PM
A thing of BEAUTY !! Excellent job with the detail  ;D

X2!! Really nice knob, perfect for a vintage type of reel

Marc..

broadway

Thank you for the thorough explanation on one heck of a special handle and grip. Your friend did right by you to say the very least.
Impressive work!
Enjoy her on that beast you've created,
Dom

54bullseye

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on July 14, 2018, 12:15:04 AM
John, there is no charge. A lot of people have been kind to me here on the forum and Its just a way of paying it forward.

Please PM me you address and I get them out early next week.

all the best,  ..  Lou

Lou
Your red acrylic material is gorgeous !!!!!  My friend Rollie is making me another knob and handle for my 20/0. It's not finished yet but so far it is really looking good !!!! Rollie said he loves your material and that it nice to work with. He also made me a new rod clamp for the 20/0 that fits the old style Lakeland reel seat I have with an aluminum butt perfectly !!! We might trim it down a little bit or possibly mill in a hole for a safety line to clip into not sure yet but both pieces are shaping up. Lou Thanks again for the acrylic I love !!!!!
John Taylor

STRIPER LOU

Looks great John!

Its like having a jewel on the end of the knob.

Pretty good stuff to work with as long as the tooling is sharp and you don't generate a lot of heat. I'm working on some new colors that are a knockout and still working on the Starburst pattern.
Although I'm able to produce the desired results with the starburst on occasion,  ....   I'm not able to do so with any consistency. Most others have given up on it but I'm still trying.

I think to get it perfect all the time, it would have to be done in Lab conditions.

Tell Rollie his work is outstanding!!!!

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

That turned out nice John, Rollie does some nice work!...Enjoy it!

Best,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.