The Ultra Mag, A Blast From The Past

Started by Gfish, July 12, 2018, 03:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

This is a mid-80's(?, serial #850400) Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Ultra Mag XL V(5). Probably bout a 3/0 size baitcast style inshore reel. I assume XL means: extra large, relative to the 6 or so models in the series that came before it. This one and the VI(6) are hard to find and probably didn't sell well.

Edit:Can't seem to post the rest of the story(levelwind stuff) for unknowen reasons, try latter, with" post reply".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

Thanks Chad. Can't seem to post "The Rest of The Story" , i.e., details about the levelwind function, including pictures. Workin on it... Seems it's the post won't work when I'm tryin to add pictures.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Pictures?

Ok. Don't know what's goin on?...

Anyway, when you engage freespool, the pawl cover(black graphite part) rolls off(disengages) the levelwinding device.

xjchad

I see the pics!
Cool looking reel!  I'm intrigued!

Gfish

The levelwinder is actually 2 units, held together by a magnet. When ready to cast you can push each one to it's respective side for relatively friction-free casting. So now the freespool button is pushed in, the levelwind is disengaged and I started to push the levelwind wires apart.

Gfish

Oh, oh, oh! It's workin! I'm able to post.

Also, the seperated levelwind units can be pushed over into grooves on either side a the frame, for simi-permanent no-levelwind use.

Gfish

If the levelwind wires are separated, but not down in the grooves, when you reel in, it automatically goes back into gear and the pawl mechanism also rolls back into gear, moves along as you crank, and collects each levelwind 1/2unit, snapping them back together via the magnet.

Coolest, most versitile level winder I've ever seen. Even though I've nearly worn out the reel, it's never failed.

I'm Gfish, and that's the rest of the story...

xjchad

Wow, those are some really cool features!  Thanks for sharing G!  Now I want one! LOL  :D

handi2

Cool reel.

There were other Abu's that had the same type levelwind system. They were a smaller reel. I think i have one in the shop.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mhc

Quote from: Gfish on July 12, 2018, 03:03:05 AM
This is a mid-80's(?, serial #850400) Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Ultra Mag XL V(5). Probably bout a 3/0 size baitcast style inshore reel. I assume XL means: extra large, relative to the 6 or so models in the series that came before it.

Nice reel Gfish, looks like it's served you well. They are fairly large for a 'low profile' reel. ABU claim line capacity of 20 lb/500yds and 30 Lb/300 yds.
Here's a photo of one next to a 7000 for comparison (the ultra mag is only half spooled)

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Gfish

If it's yours and you wanna sell it lemme know. Bout a day ago I gave up on onea those _bay bidding wars, with those stupid 0.50 cent increases, no matter what I bid. That line volume sounds excessive, but may well be true.
Man! Didn't know there's that many models made!

mhc

I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell it or see another one - I picked it up in Aus six or seven years ago, it's not new but hasn't been used much by the look of it. I found a VI around the same time, they have the same size side plates just a bit wider spool (30 lb/400 yds and 40 lb/300 yds)

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

steelfish

wow, very insteresting reel Gregg, pretty clever and unique levelwind

for the 1st pics and considering its an Abu garcia, I would have never though how big it was when compared to a 7000 size ambassadeur.

acording to the schematics looks like it only has one drag washer like the old ambassadeur C- models
what kind of fish have you caught with yours in your waters?

The Baja Guy