The Ultra Mag, A Blast From The Past

Started by Gfish, July 12, 2018, 03:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Thanks for the introduction G...I haven't had one of these yet. The schematic I looked at had a 3-stack, reminiscent of the 5500Cs. Seems like a right usable reel! 8)

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Abu%20Garcia/ultra%20mag/Ambassadeur%20Ultra%20Mag%20XL%20V%2084-1.pdf
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on February 15, 2019, 08:14:59 PM
   Thanks for the introduction G...I haven't had one of these yet. The schematic I looked at had a 3-stack, reminiscent of the 5500Cs. Seems like a right usable reel! 8)

you're right Mo, I think I checked a wrong reel model, 3 stack should offer a nice drag number
The Baja Guy

mo65

Quote from: steelfish on February 15, 2019, 08:21:49 PM
3 stack should offer a nice drag number

I agree. When it comes to catfishing, my little 5000s seem to run out of "umph" when the cats get above the 15 pound mark. My brother's 5500Cs offer more lifting strength with their 3-stack. A 7000 is my favorite Abu catter. I've never met an Ambassadeur I didn't like! ;)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Riy2018

Happy 4th of July!.
I have abu garcia ambassadeur ultra mag II , mag control is weird. up to number 5 makes bird nest, 6-10 holds better but casting distance is limited. however it is very light reel, low profile bait casting. very smooth mechanics.
does any one have comparison chart between all models.?

festus

Very interesting reels.  Wonder what the weight and line capacity is for the smallest of the series?