Reviving a Shimano Trinidad 16 (Gold)

Started by paul.casillas, July 12, 2018, 05:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul.casillas

Rather than spend $400 on the newer Shimano, I'm trying to revive a TN12.
I want to replace the current bearings with Boca Bearings but they don't support a "kit" any more and the cross-reference I found doesn't list the old parts anymore. Can anyone tell me, the dimensions of the bearings?

Fish-aholic

For spool bearings (ID x OD x Width)

6 x 12 x 4mm & 4 x 11 x 4mm

Smoothdrag.com ;)

*Edit*

Also worth checking...

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/shimano-tn12-trinidad-conventional-reel-parts-c-200301_200641_200762.html

Happy screw driving and welcome!  ;D

steelfish

Quote from: paul.casillas on July 12, 2018, 05:49:30 PM
Rather than spend $400 on the newer Shimano, I'm trying to revive a TN12.

I dont have the bearing sizes, but just to clarify, on your tittle you put trinidad 16 and inside the post you typed TN12 which is a different size reel.

I have a gold trini16 and love it
The Baja Guy

xjchad

I just serviced a TN14 (gold) for a customer.  Despite being beat up on the outside, this innards were in great shape! Nice reels!
Just be careful backing off the drag star, the little clicker and spring in the gear sleeve can go flying if you don't watch it.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

X2 on that clicker spring. My Tn12 is still going strong,well worth the effort
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fish-aholic

Upon removing the star, a spacer washer (#250) is sandwiched in between star and belleville washers helping lock the spring loaded pin in situ. Disturb said s/washer with a fingertip in front of pin otherwise they do take flight. A cocktail stick - or similar fed through the drive shaft is another way of stopping pins flying especially when reassembling.  ;)

*Edit*

steelfish

its easy to avoid looking the star clicker pin from flying away to neverland.

before you take out the star look for the small hole on the shaft, you will see the hole is oriented to one of the sides of the shaft that is where the pin is also located, so, all you have to do is to turn the shaft enough to aim the pin (the hole will help ) to a towel or napkin on your working bench, this way you always know where your pin will fall or fly.

The Baja Guy