jigging master pe4

Started by hafnor, August 10, 2011, 02:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Been trying to find them but I just can't. I could scan them into my computer. I have the pe8,6 and 4

Black Widow Tackle

is that the dual drag reel?

hafnor

yes. If you order the JM reels outside the US you are certain that all are dual drags. The models distributed in the US will have one of the drags removed

hafnor

schematics for JM pe4, pe6 and pe8

Sorry the scanner didn't work but I guess this works.

pe4:

pe6

pe8

hafnor

posted this in the schematics forum too.

chopsticks

Excellent work Hafnor.

Just to clarify a few things.

The gold cap on the T-handle (silver on some models) is a standard right hand thread (turn anti-clockwise to undo).

The handle knob screw 1 - part #104 - (PE 6 & PE8 schematics) that connects the T-handle nail to the reel arm is a left hand thread (turn clockwise to undo) and so is the handle knob screw 2 - part #105 - at the other end of the same T-handle nail. These two screws are the only left hand threaded ones in the JM reels. Easy to forget though and snap them off in the T-handle nail.

Irish Jigger

I noticed the second parts list included actual ball bearing sizes. Pity other manufacturers don't follow this practice. ;)

hafnor

there is just a tiny bit of locktite on the screws to the main gear on the JM's, nothing else, atleast not on mine... But as I have worked with 4-5 jm pe reels all seems to be a bit different. small changes are being done regurarly... so I can not be sure.

chopsticks

Quote from: basto on April 12, 2012, 01:22:30 AM
Hi Chopsticks
Do you know if part 104 is assembled with locktite? I have had difficulty trying to unscrew it. I am aware that it is reverse threaded.
I tried heating it up a bit with a hair dryer(a method that has worked for me before), but the part it screws into just turns with it.
I don`t know what to try next.

Hi Basto,
Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on here for quite some time.
Yes, the handle knob screw 1, part #104, can be really tight and usually has a small amount of locktite on it as Hafnor said. It's turning because the handle knob screw, part #105, inside, at the other end of the T handle nail is turning. Try this; remove the reel arm from the reel. Remove the T-Bar handle and handle shaft retainer, part #2. Place a stumpy screwdriver (by the handle) of the appropriate blade size in a vice so that the blade is pointing skywards. Invert the handle shaft coat, part #40, over the screwdriver so that the blade is inserted in the the handle knob screw 2, part #105, and unscrew part #104. 
Hope this helps.

Killerbug

Thanks for the tutorial Hafnor, I am doing a JM pe4 this weekend for the first time. I am always a little insecure, when doing a customer
reel that I have not worked on before.  Especially thanks for the scematic drawing.

/Morten
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Killerbug

Just finished servicing the pe4. 

My verdict is, if you by this reel, lube all the small screws, before using it, or you risk they get stocked forever. Easy to work on, and well made, but IMO all the screws on this reel, is way too small for a saltwater reel. 

In comparison, I had the Everol V12 in for service. This Reel is without much finesse, but build like a tank. The heavily used Everol also had smoother gears, than an almost new pe4.

What also stroke me was, that even on a new pe4, some of the screws where already corroded into the frame.

Both reels where from the same owner, same use.

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

HappyHookerAUS

G'day guys my first post on here, like all you, i also enjoy tinkering with reels, im from sydney and my names Michael.. nice to meet you all!

for the sake of starting a new thread i thought i'd ask on here.. I have a jigging master pe4 and had been flawless jigging for yellow tail kingfish during the winter months in depths of 60-120m, now its summer and they move inshore so targeting them is different, i now down rig using live bait in and around structure, depths of 8-20m this meant i had to bump up my strike drag in order to stop the fish in such depths.

I bumped the strike drag to 15kg and always tested while moving up, it now has really bad binding! i wouldn't have thought it would be a problem for the reel but clearly the problem is there. it was pruchased in australia so its the dual drag washer model. i did read one thread on here someone mentioning the clutch bearing has problems with side load? have i gone too far? is 15kg at strike too much?

Cheers for the help guys!

alantani

if you are having trouble turning the handle when the reel is in gear, and then that problem goes away when the reel is out of gear, then you likely have a bad right main side plate bearing.  that is the bearing that carries most of the load and is always the one to fail first. 

if the handle is equally difficult to crank, both in and out of gear, then it is likely the drive shaft bearings. 

the problem was likely cause by water intrusion, which caused the bearing to rust.  other than getting the reel wet, you likely did nothing wrong.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

HappyHookerAUS

Quote from: alantani on January 28, 2015, 08:06:49 AM
if you are having trouble turning the handle when the reel is in gear, and then that problem goes away when the reel is out of gear, then you likely have a bad right main side plate bearing.  that is the bearing that carries most of the load and is always the one to fail first. 

if the handle is equally difficult to crank, both in and out of gear, then it is likely the drive shaft bearings. 

the problem was likely cause by water intrusion, which caused the bearing to rust.  other than getting the reel wet, you likely did nothing wrong.   :-\

Thanks alan, just thought i'd ask before diving in, atleast now i know what to look for, im a total newbie when it come to reels, have only ever serviced my own for about a year now which means not enough hours put in these babies.. good to know theres help here if i stuff it up