Greasing Avet Drive Shaft Gears

Started by tarpon one, June 13, 2021, 09:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon one

Today I cleaned and lubricated my three Avet Raptors, a SXJ, SX and a JX. Mark Mayo may not know it but he was with me every step of the way LOL. I have two questions:
1. Mark shows grease being placed on the teeth of the pinion gear but makes no attempt to grease the main gear teeth on the drive shaft.
    Should I attempt to get grease into the gear teeth of the drive shaft gears?
2. I was unable to separate the two pinion gears on the JX Raptor so I reinstalled it as one piece. Should I take the reel back apart and make  more of an effort to separate those gears?
Thanks for your guidance.

mmayo

If you grease one gear like the pinion, it will get a on the main gear.  Too much grease get in the dog arm and can actually stop the reel from having a dog action.  I know this as it happened to me.  More grease is not the ticket if you regularly service your reels.  Too much grease is what reel jockeys do for people that fish their reels until the stop working.  Don't be THAT GUY.

The two gears in a two speed and meant to be separated so get them apart carefully.  This is a sign of too much salt water, time and lack of grease or oil.  Sorry to be blunt, but that's the deal.

My best wishes that your reels always perform right every time.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

tarpon one

I took the gears apart. No sign of saltwater intrusion and plenty of grease but gears appears to be machined poorly. I'm going to contact Avet today and hopefully they'll replace the gear set.
Thanks for posting your videos about reel maintenance. You do an excellent presentation and it gives someone such as myself the confidence to open up a reel and clean and lubricate it and to learn how the mechanism works. Thanks again!!

mmayo

Thanks

I've used Avets for a while.  My oldest are the smoothest while the newest is not, yet.  Patience and tough fish will reward you with smooth wonderful action.  Keep them clean, salt free, oiled and greased and you will kill fish.

When I sell an Avet I often get most of what I paid for it.  Not unusual to get a comment like near new inside.  I know every reel has earned it's place in my reel bag.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.