Heddon 277

Started by xjchad, July 16, 2018, 10:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Well I haven't been able to get as many pics as I'd have liked to do a step by step on this reel because I've been so crunched for time that I did most of the work in the back seat of my truck on my lunch break.  I'm sure that none of this is very foreign to any of you as the design is very basic and bulletproof, very similar to other well-built reels of this era.   
I don't think this reel was used much if at all.  I completely disassembled and cleaned it all very well and reassembled using Penn grease and oil.

One thing I noticed is that there appears to be one missing part.  I believe there should some sort of bumper or stop for the bail arm to land on when it flips closed.  I think it's probably just a plastic piece that presses into the hole seen below?

Does anyone have one they can get measurements from for me?  I think I know about what size it should be and I'm planning to 3D print a replacement, but it would be nice to know what it actually looks like and measures.

I was able to get some Carbon drag washers from Dawn that need slight modification to work in my Heddon!  I'll post it finished and spooled soon!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

happyhooker

Quote from: Swami805 on August 02, 2018, 03:51:28 AM
I have a nib Heddon with the catalog. It has all the spinners they made that year with a schematic for each. Unfortunately it's on one giant sheet and each one is very small. If someone needs the schematic for one model pm me and I send a photo of it

Thanks, folks, for a very interesting post.  Sheridan, I have a feeling I may need to get ahold of you for Heddon schematics in the future.  I have a few for reels I either have or want, but they are hard to come by.  On the 277, I will have to look & see if I have that one; seems to me I've seen one someplace, but, as usual for someone my age, I can't remember where I might have seen it.

Frank

xjchad

Here she is.
Spooled up with 14 lb. Cajun Red and mounted on my 8'6" Ugly Stik.

mo65

That is one fine lookin' reel! Great restoration! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

I looked where I keep my schematics, and I have a few Heddon, but no 277.

Your work looks great!

Frank

Swami805

Be happy to send a pick of any of those on the sheet blown up so they're readable. A lot of variation between the different models, I'm thinking some were more high end than others.
That reel cleaned up nicely Chad, should be a good match on that rod
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Thanks guys!  It was a fun one!

xjchad

I fished the Heddon 277 today.  Threw a Kastmaster in the surf for awhile on my lunch break.
Seems to cast and reel great!  It's a tad heavy, but balances well on this rod.
Two things I don't care for:
1. I have to crank the handle to snap the bail shut.  I'm used to flipping it closed with my hand before reeling.
2. The knob is a bit floppy.  I'm considering replacing the knob, but I think I'll try it a bit more to see if I can get used to it.  I don't want to ruin the arm and regret it later.

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on August 15, 2018, 11:08:45 PM
I have to crank the handle to snap the bail shut.  I'm used to flipping it closed with my hand before reeling.

This bothers me too...but I've been using a Penn 720 ans a Quick Micro so much lately I'm starting to warm up to it some. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: xjchad on August 15, 2018, 11:08:45 PM
I fished the Heddon 277 today.  Threw a Kastmaster in the surf for awhile on my lunch break.
Seems to cast and reel great!  It's a tad heavy, but balances well on this rod.
Two things I don't care for:
1. I have to crank the handle to snap the bail shut.  I'm used to flipping it closed with my hand before reeling.
2. The knob is a bit floppy.  I'm considering replacing the knob, but I think I'll try it a bit more to see if I can get used to it.  I don't want to ruin the arm and regret it later.

If the knob hole is worn you can insert a brass sleeve/tube to get rid of the slop. Sometimes it takes some reaming of both pieces to get a nice fit. If you do it, the ends should also be flared a little after it is fit to keep it from sliding. I have fixed many a worn plastic knob that way.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

xjchad

Thanks Tommy I'll check that out.

festus

I got a 277 through ebay for 10 bucks and shipping.  It was really stiff and grindy, but a good cleanup and lubrication with Superlube helped tremendously.

But the reel has problems, the bail trip lever won't close the bail.   The bailspring is fine. 

Most likely the appendage that trips the lever is worn or........

It's possible the bail trip lever is bent out of shape.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?  And was anyone finally successful on finding the schematic for a Heddon 277?  There isn't one on Sheridan's sheet and I've never found one online.

Midway Tommy

Can't help with the schematic, Chester, but it sure looks like your bail trip is bent. I doubt very much if the trip stud is worn enough to be an issue. You should be able to correct the bail trip lever easily by using a couple of small vise grips to rebend & align the lever angles. I've done it many times on similar reels. It's easy on those softer metals. A little anvil works good, too, to straighten the flat areas.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Thanks Tommy, I didn't think the trip stud was worn enough to cause the failure.  The reel doesn't look like it was used very much.  It has some minor scuffing but little paint loss.  Good reel.

Rivverrat

These Heddon reels are pretty neat reels... Jeff