International Drag Plate

Started by TheReelShop, July 16, 2018, 11:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

I'm working on a customers 30T. I took it out to test the drag and noticed that when the spool turns with drag in place, I hear the "rubbing". The reel works great. I took it apart to check it out and I noticed something..... The face of where the carbon fiber drag rubs on is not a polished surface. Its rather dull. I noticed every single reel I've worked on has polished plates. I will be telling the customer they can use it as is unless they want to invest in a new plate.
Am I correct or is there anything else to add?

alantani

not sure it this is the same thing, but on some of the reels, you can spin the spool in free and it clangs once every revolution.  i have never found a way to get rid of that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TheReelShop

Quote from: alantani on July 17, 2018, 03:20:10 AM
not sure it this is the same thing, but on some of the reels, you can spin the spool in free and it clangs once every revolution.  i have never found a way to get rid of that. 

On internationals yes I've had them clang, but only on those with a free floating drag plate and two drag washers. I tied with small lb test line a knot within two holes where the drag plate sits. Thin enough to allow the plate to move laterally. Noise goes away. I don't know if this sounds about right with your reference..

alantani

that is exactly correct about the free floating rotor.  it drove me nuts the first time i came across that problem.  so i actually took the time to reread your first post more carefully (which is what i should have done the first time) and realized that you were talking about a single speed reel with the large single drag plate and fixed rotor.  duh....

and you're right, the surface of the metal pressure plate is supposed to be true.  sounds like yours has a divot.  if the drag pressure is smooth enough at a regular working pressure, say 10, 15 or 20 pounds of drag, then i would just take a photo, let him know and tell him that it's not worth the money to change it out.  because it won't be.  if the drag is not smooth in these working ranges, then changing it out would be the best deal.  

basically, it sounds like you're right on the money.  

alantani

yeah, and if we were working for cal sheets, he would have us chuck the spool in a lathe and turn the surface of the pressure plate until it's flat and true.  i don't suppose you have access to a lathe?   ;D ;D ;D

TheReelShop

Quote from: alantani on July 17, 2018, 01:45:47 PM
yeah, and if we were working for cal sheets, he would have us chuck the spool in a lathe and turn the surface of the pressure plate until it's flat and true.  i don't suppose you have access to a lathe?   ;D ;D ;D

No I wish I did and also wish I knew how to fabricate. That would pretty much allow any reel in the whole wide world to be fixed   ;D