Ebay Reels

Started by mikeysm, July 19, 2018, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I just bought a 114h on ebay. The owner said it was brand new. When I received it the side plate screws came from three different reels. The gears had after market grease and the frame cross bars were all scared up. The gears were used . I buy new so I have good spare parts after my conversion to a Tiburon frame kit. Well this is the third time this year where the seller lied. I chose to give all of them except one bad reviews. I don't want these guys to get away with it again so a bad review is my way to help fix thfe problem. It might not work but it's the best I can do. In my book new is new and that's that. They think I won't check until it's to late but he knows that it didn't go his way.

Mike

thorhammer

new is new. the only concession i will make to "new" is it has line on it but never used, in the box.

RowdyW

My way is to file a claim with ebay & paypal for a refund including s&h in addition to a 1 star rating. You don't have to keep what you don't want. It's just a bit of a hassle. Most apples in the basket are good but you will always find a couple that are rotten.      Rudy

Gfish

I guess I've been lucky with The Bay so far... One seller sent me a 506 insteada the 505 that was pictured. I sent her a message and she worked with me on it. I had her send me some clamps I needed, N/C. Now Imina fish that 506 this AM. But that's been the only thing, so far.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I've noticed recently terms like "new" and "unused" have been applied to anything with at least one shiny side. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mikeysm

Yes I agree with what you said. They never think I would ever look inside to find out. All I needed was the side plates and bridge. I take the left over and save it for someone in need of nos parts. Not used parts they are worthless to me.

Mike

1badf350

Everything now is "mint" "NOS". I laugh at most of them.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

RowdyW

Beware when there is only one photo. That is the good side. I recently bought a red hlw spool on ebay from a seller (who is also an AT member) that one side of the spool had corrosion. One photo, guess which side.       Rudy

Swami805

I've bought old reels  in the boxes mainly because they came with an nice old box. When I paid I added a message to make sure the reel is packaged so it can't move in the box. 3 times the reel came and I could hear it rattling in the box. The boxes were trashed. A 6/0 will Bunch big holes thru the box. All 3 times I was able to work it out with the seller but what a hassle especially after telling them about packaging. There's always some element of risk on eBay
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mikeysm

If you want to deal with great seller fishgrain is top of the line. He always has what I want sooner or later it will show up. I have never had a problem with him. He is also a AT member.

Mike

akfish

Let me turn things around a bit: A couple months ago I sold a NIB Avet reel on eBay. It was new in every way. The buyer returned it saying he didn't like it because it was used. It wasn't. Never used, no scratches, nothing. New box, paper, clamp in plastic bag, etc. I was stuck for shipping both ways. My complaint to eBay went for naught...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

Quote from: mikeysm on July 19, 2018, 06:07:56 PM
If you want to deal with great seller fishgrain is top of the line. He always has what I want sooner or later it will show up. I have never had a problem with him. He is also a AT member.

Mike
Agree.

One irritating thing I already posted about in another thread is a reel sold without the rod clamp, then further down in that E-Bay section,  you see the same seller with the clamp for the reel sold separately and oftentimes at an exorbitant price.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mikeysm

Why are sellers so scared of a bad review.

Mike

nelz

Had a reel catch my attention the other day... it was described as "New" yet the photos clearly showed a well-worn corroded old reel. I figured the seller made a mistake in selecting the category, but no. In the description it said "bought this at an estate sale and I have never used it". So I guess it was "new" to him.  ::)

Maxed Out

Quote from: mikeysm on July 20, 2018, 01:25:42 AM
Why are sellers so scared of a bad review.

Mike

Good question Mike

Personally I never demand 5 star feedback like a lot of eBay sellers

I never mention feedback at all in any of my eBay listings because I prefer honest feedback from each transaction

Most sellers are afraid to give a description, mainly because it opens the door for buyer to get full refund for "item not as described", which coincidentally is the #1 complaint from unhappy eBay buyers. Lots of good honest sellers on eBay.....and a fair amount of shady ones too.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!