The Most Wonderful Baja / US113N

Started by Rivverrat, July 21, 2018, 06:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Increasing the versatility of a reel is always a good thing. If that reel is already durable needing only regular maintenance all the better. The Baja / US113 meets the criteria here very well.

Much better with Tom's improved dogs & anti reverse installed. I really like this reel. I just recently spooled my Baja & US113 with 100 Jerry Brown that I received from Lee. Line arrived quick here in Kansas. If your needing braid & you like JB I would suggest you get it from Lee at least before he has a moment of clarity & starts charging more appropriately, as in more for it.

Any way for what it's worth, hears the two reels below.    

The Baja has 300 yards of JB 100 The US113 is just a bit shy of 200 yards. This is how I've been & will fish this reel. Why ?  How good of you to ask.   I fish primarily fresh water I'm assuming  some salt fellas might benefit form what Im about to explain here. I dont always need high line capacity.   The Penn website tells me this reel has a 4.3:1 ratio & scarfs up 34" of line with each turn of the handle.

A fantastic thing for those wanting a quick retrieve for throwing stuff at Wahoo or the like. Which I know absolutely nothing about.

1) However this rate of retrieve is terrible for people like me who wish to fish this reel at the upper half of it's drag range. Making it a not so pleasant thing attempting to turn the handle with higher drag.
However by filling my US113 to it's third capacity ring from the top I've effectively reduced the ratio to where its cranking 24" -25" of line with each crank vs the original 33". Putting it in the realm of the original Jigmaster's  retrieve rate which many praise for it's cranking power.

2) Another plus is the reel no longer works as hard when making high drag. Much easier go of things for the internal lock work. Not as much stress placed on the innards. This will  first be noticed by how fewer turns of the star it takes to get the desired drag level.
My US113 easily produces over 40 lbs. of drag with line loaded to this level. I dont recommend fishing these reels at that level. But with Tom's anti reverse, 60 - 80 lines with appropriate drag is just fine. Fishing 100 lb. line is doable with appropriate rod. Using the O'l pull & reel down thingy.  

3)  I   love casting & the Baja / US113 for their size are wonderful casters. Any one who's spent time refining their casting skills with conventional reels has probably figured out that for distance it's really best not to touch the spooled line during a cast. On a star drag your thumb should ride the spool shoulder. However when under filling the spool like this on this reel it gives me all kinds of real estate to place my thumb. Which is great when tossing 10 oz. weight & bait.

4) Last point. There is no need to tend line while fighting a fish with under filled spool. Not a big deal for me but I find I can hand this reel off to my son or others not used to doing this & they can fish just fine with this reel loaded in this manner with no worries with laying the line on flat.

Growing up I was always told to keep my reels filled to max. Not doing so was akin to an unpardonable sin. For spinning reels this is a very true thing. But when it comes to these  4/0 size reels from the back in the "All Their Was Is Dacron & Mono Days" I'm hoping some will see the merit in what I'm describing.
I'm also guessing a lot of salt water guys have times when 200 yards or a little more of line with 20 - 30 lbs. of drag will get it done & maybe this is in a place you'd rather not fish your nicer reels.

Past couple of years I've come across those that sneer at this reel. Claiming there is better made stuff now. Well ya there is, but that stuff cost over a $150 more & in some cases isn't as durable.  

I cant think of a better Big River or Beach reel for hard use than the Penn US113 when it's specks are appropriate for the occasion.  I'm hoping this simple technique is one some one might find worthy of use. Ever find your self needing  high drag with no big need for line capacity & having one of these reels, give it try & tell me how it works for you

This reel is of course a classic & has become one I'll never be with out... Jeff

handi2

We use 3 of them on the boat when we are bottom fishing. Very versatile reels. Every one loves them.

I just finished 4 for a customer that bought the bridges from Tom. All of mine have the bridges also.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Most here will be aware of what I state in my post. Nothing more than some of the simple stuff I've done over the years & taken for granted. Until some one asks me why I do this or that... Jeff

Swami805

I found one for $50, it was locked up and the guy thought it was toast but one dog had failed and gotten jammed. I put Tom's bridge in it,right as rain now. I think best bang for the buck I've ever spent. Need to some bigger fish this summer to give it a work out.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on July 21, 2018, 09:22:07 PM
I found one for $50, it was locked up and the guy thought it was toast but one dog had failed and gotten jammed. I put Tom's bridge in it,right as rain now. I think best bang for the buck I've ever spent. Need to some bigger fish this summer to give it a work out.

You lucky Dog. A fantastic deal... Jeff

mo65

I don't have a Baha...yet...but I'll have one someday. As to your underspooling techniques, I've been know to do this too. One of the many advantages of fishing water where 100-200yds. of line is more than enough. I chuckled when you mentioned folks sneering. People get irate when you show them that for $150 they can make a reel just as good as their $500 reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Hey Mike thats cool you run some reels under filled. Has me feeling not quite as odd.   I really believe it has some merit  when using braid to take full advantage of it.  Truth be known 75 yards of line is plenty when fishing  a reel capable 25 lbs. of drag. Heck 75 yards of 50 lb. line is plenty for the biggest cats in a lot of situations.

However I've found 200 yards gives me plenty to drift  bait below a large float & cover me for breaking & cutting off from snags over a weekend or a few days in a row on the river. I believe there are also benefits for salt water guys under filling the 4/0 size reels... Jeff  

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on July 21, 2018, 09:22:07 PM

I feel generous today, so, I give you $54

;D ;D

nice deal Sheridan, take it to Loreto to catch some nice groupers there, they grow them big over there

The Baja Guy