How stuck can a sleeve pin get?

Started by Indyfisher, July 22, 2018, 03:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyfisher

I gifted my mildly upgraded 114h to my navy buddy that just got married as I haven't fished it for two seasons now. Then started having the feel bads of getting rid of my only 114. ;) So I bought two that were labeled as parts reels but working. I got lucky that both had steel mains and the bearings were actually silky smooth after a good soak. Now I've installed stainless sleeves on 7 different reels and never had too much of an issue with removing a pin. I'll tell you I soaked and beat that thing, walked away beat it some more bent my punch then broke out the cutting wheel.

Indyfisher

Even after cutting along the pin I had to pry what was left out with a screwdriver!

alantani

this is another one that i would have torched! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I have one or two in my scrap pile that just wouldn't come lose. Well, the post on the plate did, but not the sleeve.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Indyfisher

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 22, 2018, 10:38:18 AM
I have one or two in my scrap pile that just wouldn't come lose. Well, the post on the plate did, but not the sleeve.

Sal
I was almost there! I used a framing square to circle around the post to make sure I didn't bend it afterwards.

Indyfisher

Quote from: alantani on July 22, 2018, 05:54:17 AM
this is another one that i would have torched! 
I heated and froze this thing two different times! I think I literally invested nearly 6 hours of time before I decided it wasn't worth anymore time! What baffles me is that I can see the concoction of oils and fluids I used still sitting in there to no avail. And like Sal said I beat that thing so much I thought for sure I had bent the post even in a vise!

alantani

wow.  20 seconds with the blue tip of a propane torch is supposed to do the trick.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Indyfisher

Quote from: alantani on July 22, 2018, 12:08:20 PM
wow.  20 seconds with the blue tip of a propane torch is supposed to do the trick.   :-\
I have used a torch on a stubborn one before and it did work with a quickness. This was a different beast Alan. My orthopedic surgeon would have had a heart attack watching me resort to beating the punch with a 24oz framing hammer.  ;D

Alto Mare

This is why I always mention the sleeve should have a little up and down play, but some here like it nice and snug ::).
Let me know if you need a stock sleeve or bridge, I should have one laying around.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Indyfisher

Thanks for the offer Sal but I had two extra stock sleeves and the bridge is fine. It's eventually getting a stainless put on anyhow. I don't mind a little play in the sleeve and really think it's hardly noticeable.

Indyfisher

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 22, 2018, 12:57:47 PM
This is why I always mention the sleeve should have a little up and down play, but some here like it nice and snug ::).

Out of curiosity, wouldn't shimming that tiny play just force the pin against the post constantly? Would this not cause premature wear on the post and pin? I like my gear sleeves to spin as freely as possible wouldn't that pin riding on the post cause a little restriction and friction? ;)

Army_of_One

I would try putting the other sleeves on to see if the "pin notch" on the post is going to be a future issue. I'm lucky that I haven't had to do more than smack a punch with a ball pin to remove one.
Another day in Paradise!

Gfish

Quote from: Indyfisher on July 22, 2018, 02:56:19 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 22, 2018, 12:57:47 PM

Out of curiosity, wouldn't shimming that tiny play just force the pin against the post constantly? Would this not cause premature wear on the post and pin? I like my gear sleeves to spin as freely as possible wouldn't that pin riding on the post cause a little restriction and friction? ;)

Probably. I read in another thread, there might need to be some play in the vertical movement of the gear sleeve due to heat expansion(hopefully from the friction of fighting a big grouper or tuna). I'm onea those that are bothered a bit by that sloppy feel though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Indyfisher

I've already installed a sleeve and found no issues as of yet. The sleeve I cut off actually had the small play that Sal was discussing. There's no damage to the post and reassembled perfectly. I've never had one stuck that bad and I'm still looking over the sleeve and pin I cut to try and find a reason why.

RowdyW

Sometimes you will run into a SS gear sleeve that has either a slightly tapered hole or pin. Then just try turning the pin around or try the hole on the opposite side. I found this to be true with PC (Black Pearl) gear sleeves.      Rudy