How stuck can a sleeve pin get?

Started by Indyfisher, July 22, 2018, 03:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyfisher

Quote from: RowdyW on July 22, 2018, 03:50:17 PM
Sometimes you will run into a SS gear sleeve that has either a slightly tapered hole or pin. Then just try turning the pin around or try the hole on the opposite side. I found this to be true with PC (Black Pearl) gear sleeves.      Rudy
Rudy I've encountered this on a few sleeves and pins. This was a stock bridge and sleeve that the pin would not come out of. I've just never had an issue this troublesome with removing or installing a stainless or stock sleeve ever and not being able to find the problem is what's bothering me the most.

mo65

Quote from: Indyfisher on July 22, 2018, 03:40:06 PM
The sleeve I cut off actually had the small play that Sal was discussing.

I'm a bit confused here...if the sleeve had some play then the stuck pin was stuck from the pin hole being tight...not from binding on the bridge post...correct?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Pro challenger pins are purposely made that way, you will not be able to install it ,unless you place the tapered end in.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Indyfisher

Correct Mo. There was no binding issue just the pin unbelievable stuck in hole.

Alto Mare

A drill might have saved you lots of headaches, I thought the sleeve was frozen.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Indyfisher

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 22, 2018, 04:17:16 PM
Pro challenger pins are purposely made that way, you will not be able to install it allows you please tapered tip in.
You are correct Sal. And most pins that have been in a reel are dome shaped on one end so it's not really an issue if you're paying attention.

Indyfisher

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 22, 2018, 04:20:53 PM
A drill might have saved you lots of headaches, I thought the sleeve was frozen.
Broke a bit drilling at it, without a drill press it was wobbling enough that it was scarring the sides of the hole that's when I just cut it.

Indyfisher

Sorry for any confusion I caused. That's why I am just as confused, just trying to troubleshoot and understand what the root cause was. Fat pin in a tiny hole? ???

mo65

Quote from: Indyfisher on July 22, 2018, 04:45:45 PM
Sorry for any confusion I caused. That's why I am just as confused, just trying to troubleshoot and understand what the root cause was. Fat pin in a tiny hole? ???

No need to be sorry Indy...these things happen. And yes, sounds like a case of fat pin/tiny hole. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

It was probably a very corroded pin in a tight hole that expanded & distorted when you pounded on it with the hardened punch & big hammer even before you tried to apply the heat to it. At least you saved the bridge, that can't be bought separetly like a gear sleeve can.

Indyfisher

The framing hammer and cutting wheel was the end of the 6 hour battle. I always use a small ball-peen hammer to start. Then lube soak if that doesn't work. Then heat. Then heat to freeze. Next time I'll start with a two ton hydraulic press and skip all the simple stuff. ;)

kmstorm64

I wonder if the previous owner lost the original pin and substituted something for it. Not going to say I have never seen that in other things. Some people like to use drill bits to replace lost rifle pins, they can be headaches to replace.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

mizmo67

I've found some sleeves it would only tap out in one direction.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com