Penn 9/0 upgrades

Started by Ryan, July 23, 2018, 04:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army_of_One

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 24, 2018, 09:48:48 PM
Army-of-one, you might want to check the engagement of the dogs on that gear sleeve.
One came through my hands a couple of weeks ago and noticed the tip of the dogs were only engaging 50%.
I had to knock down the high spot between the teeth

and it it is after it has been filed down

Sal
That is good to know!  Thank you!
Another day in Paradise!

Alto Mare

This is only on the 9/0, dogs on  the 6/0 are shorter and should be fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ryan

I've got a frame, SS sleave, SS main gear, dogs and an insert kit on the way.  Just need to get some springs and handle. Can't wait to get in there and see it all come together. I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Ryan

I get that alternating the dogs will aid in the "anti-reverse" effect, but it seems as if the reel would be stronger if the dogs engaged at the same time. I guess it's a personal preference, but I d like to get y'alls advice with logic as to which is better?
Thanks, Ryan

Gfish

If you trust your drag and are fairly sure you won't haveta button it down, I think alternating's better. A single dog n post grabbin a gear ratchet tooth,  is gonna be pretty strong.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Army_of_One

The stock dogs take a lot of abuse before they fail.  Stainless will make it further.  I like alternating dogs as it allows less back travel of the handle to the next tooth engagement.  I wouldn't mess with the dog profile too much though, and just let it be.  We're looking forward to the finished project.  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

I have done it both ways. Alternating and Simultaneous.
Honestly, In the 9/0, I can't tell a difference when fishing other than the sound.
Life is Good!