Anti reverse question (shimano sahara 4000fb)

Started by MartinT, July 23, 2018, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinT

Hello everybody, not sure if it's ok to start asking questions right away, I'm a new member, not new to fishing but it is the first time I took a spinning reel apart to clean it, I had to problem doing.  I had to extra parts left or anything like that but right after I put it together my anti reverse just would not engage.  I took it apart too and noticed that one of the springs had a tiny little piece broken on the shorter side.  Taking it to a shop would cost me from $40 to $50 bucks which I don't want to spend.  Is there a way to fix the clutch or do I just need to buy a new part?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Martin

Donnyboat

Hi Matin & welcome good people here on this forum, tmany thanks to Alan, a spring out of a pen or a segaret lighter, may do the job, there is a post here somewere on making you own springs, cheers from sunny Western Australia, Don.
Don, or donnyboat

MartinT

Thank you sir.  I hadn't thought about making my own spring.  So the fact that one of the springs is broken could be the reason the clutch is not engaging, right?

handi2

Did you take the roller clutch apart? 6 rollers and 6 springs?

There is a video online to help you get it back together. If you've never done it you will need help.

The inner sleeve that goes into the roller clutch is narrower on one end. The narrow end goes in the clutch. That may have been the problem when you put it back together.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MartinT

Quote from: handi2 on July 23, 2018, 10:25:07 PM

There is a video online to help you get it back together. If you've never done it you will need help.

The inner sleeve that goes into the roller clutch is narrower on one end. The narrow end goes in the clutch. That may have been the problem when you put it back together.

Yeah, it could be.  I'm gonna have to take it apart again to check it out again.  Yes, 6 of each and I watched a tutorial video as I was working on it but everything is possible.
The springs can be purchase on line so that's my next shot I guess.  I really appreciate all the help.

MartinT

Quote from: handi2 on July 23, 2018, 10:25:07 PM

Bingo!  I had placed the sleeve backwards  :D I just fixed it and the anti reverse works flawlessly.  No parts needed  ;D Thanks gents, I really do appreciate your help.