Shims

Started by TheReelShop, July 26, 2018, 01:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

Good morning fellas. So I have a hard time when I repair customers reels and shimming is required. I have to always improvise. to try and relieve that issue, I ended up investing in shim stock i think around 12 sheets different thicknesses and bought punches. Quite frankly, it is worse with regard to the time I take to make shims. Do you know where they might sell shim assortments for this field of work, or a better way to cut these out? I can cut some out with scissors but I like the shims to look professional and factory looking.

STRIPER LOU

I have purchased from McMaster before. Here's a link. Click on the top left under shims. Metric is available too if your looking for an odd size.

There are also stripper bolt shims that are thicker if you should need those.

.....................Lou

https://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-washers/=1dvq3z5

Newell Nut

X2 on McMaster shims. Work perfect on Newells when centering a spool.
Dwight

TheReelShop

Thank You fellas. And I guess you guys come up with standard measurements and then just order different thicknesses?

STRIPER LOU

Order the range you use the most, pretty much whatever you've been cutting for yourself so far, and for me, every time I place a new order for other things, I'll add a few more different ones to the list. No need to go crazy as even if you need something desperately,

you'll get it from them in a day or two and shipping is almost always tolerable.

I still punch my own on occasion and if you want to have a better washer, Punch along with a piece of gray cardboard underneath and punch down onto a metal plate. This will help keep the washer flat.

.......................Regard's,      Lou

TheReelShop

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on July 26, 2018, 06:39:02 PM
Order the range you use the most, pretty much whatever you've been cutting for yourself so far, and for me, every time I place a new order for other things, I'll add a few more different ones to the list. No need to go crazy as even if you need something desperately,

you'll get it from them in a day or two and shipping is almost always tolerable.

I still punch my own on occasion and if you want to have a better washer, Punch along with a piece of gray cardboard underneath and punch down onto a metal plate. This will help keep the washer flat.

.......................Regard's,      Lou

Thanks Lou

handi2

For spinning reels you can packs of them from Mystic Parts. A pack for the 3000 sized reels and a pack for the 8000 sized reels. They will fit all other reels also.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

I should clarify, I have a 6 x 10 x 1" thick brass plate. That's what I use my hole puncher on. Still cheaper to buy washers if you can.

..............Lou

TheReelShop

Quote from: handi2 on July 26, 2018, 09:35:05 PM
For spinning reels you can packs of them from Mystic Parts. A pack for the 3000 sized reels and a pack for the 8000 sized reels. They will fit all other reels also.

Got it Thanks!!