alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Metallic Thread
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
April 07, 2020, 05:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metallic Thread  (Read 9381 times)
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« on: July 23, 2018, 04:01:49 PM »

I,m building a custom rod for a customer that wanted all metallic thread and I'm finding that the thread pull I am using is braking when I'm pulling about 12 pulls. It's a PITA with the metallic thread. Anyone run into this problem. If so please give me a answer.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
Swami805

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »

It's alot different than nylon. Try 4-5 wraps over your pull thread instead of 12. The metallic coating doesn't let the thread slide thru as easily but it also holds a bit better. It doesn't stretch as much as nylon either and won't take much abuse burnishing. It's a PIA but you'll get used to it after awhile.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 04:26:56 PM »

I am pulling under 5-6 wraps now, I was saying after 12 pulls the mono brakes. Maybe I should use some other material for the pull. I'm at a loss at this point of what to use.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
droppedit
Firearms Group

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:29:18 PM »

lots of air in it too. Keep a close eye on bubbles, they can wait for hours to appear. I've used a thick sized pull loop (8-10 lb mono) but that doesn't always help. I try to keep the metallics  for trim bands.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com
droppedit
Firearms Group

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »

I am pulling under 5-6 wraps now, I was saying after 12 pulls the mono brakes. Maybe I should use some other material for the pull. I'm at a loss at this point of what to use.

Joe

another use for swami's extra braid

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »

Joe

Grin Wink That is a good idea! I also would use the metallic thread for trim, but this guy wants it all the way.Last time I do that for sure. But he is willing to pay extra so. Lips Sealed

Joe

Swami805

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »

Thatís a great idea. Never used mono for a pull thread just another piece of thread usually size D. Going to try the braid, the slick stuff
Cor
Cape Town
Firearms Group

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »

Joe

I also use braid of various diameters.

Metallic thread is a nuisance, regardless where and how ou use it!

Cornelis
Fishy247

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »

Bullard's sells some pretty good metallic thread. It doesn't seem to get the "springies" when you try to get it started. Pulls through quite nicely. I haven't had a problem with it at all. I usually 5-8 wraps then pull it through. Never did think of using braid though. I'll have to give that a try!

-Mike
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 12:42:21 PM »

Bullard's sells some pretty good metallic thread. It doesn't seem to get the "springies" when you try to get it started. Pulls through quite nicely. I haven't had a problem with it at all. I usually 5-8 wraps then pull it through. Never did think of using braid though. I'll have to give that a try!

-Mike

Bullard's? Now is VooDoo rods?

Joe

Midway Tommy
Tom
Sensei

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »

Metallic can be a pain in the rear to hold on a 4 wind trim. I cut both tags at the edges, slide it back into place and add a tiny drop of super glue to keep it from unraveling. I always pull with 4lb Royal Bonyl. It's really thin diameter but tough to break.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »

Metallic can be a pain in the rear to hold on a 4 wind trim. I cut both tags at the edges, slide it back into place and add a tiny drop of super glue to keep it from unraveling. I always pull with 4lb Royal Bonyl. It's really thin diameter but tough to break.

Tommy: In that case I will use thread cooler sealer, it's much better and it serves two purpose's.

Joe

oldmanjoe

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »

Smiley   I have been using braid for my pulls for about 2 years now .    I keep a couple on hand , i use 15 pound braid with a bead or plastic ring so i don`t loose them.
          The braid is slick and pulls easy .   leaves a smaller tunnel ,not as thick as mono .
     The braid tens to be a little too limp so i put a ghost of ca glue to stiffin the loop , makes it easier to put the tag end in loop.
     A wooden dowel the size of a pencil put in the pencil sharper makes a great thread packer also.

* IMG_1006.JPG (34.08 KB, 320x240 - viewed 246 times.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:00:58 PM by oldmanjoe » Logged

Grandpa`s word of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
ReelFishingProblems

Nick - Arlington, VA

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 03:00:34 PM »

Great tips Joe, will be using some tonight. Iím building a rod for my 7 year oldís birthday. Using a 4í7Ē lamiglass top section of a broken blank.

Using pro-wrap gold metallic. Had metallic black but was clumpy and separated easily. The gold isnít having any problems.

* A50BF956-4927-4BA1-AE72-24428B0A2F86.jpeg (1189.39 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 111 times.)

* image.jpg (961.17 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 108 times.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:34:46 PM by ReelFishingProblems » Logged
Fishy247

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 03:02:02 PM »

Bullard's? Now is VooDoo rods?

It probably is. I usually get it from John Vadney. I'll try to remember to check when I get home.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: