Metallic Thread

Started by Reel 224, July 24, 2018, 12:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I,m building a custom rod for a customer that wanted all metallic thread and I'm finding that the thread pull I am using is braking when I'm pulling about 12 pulls. It's a PITA with the metallic thread. Anyone run into this problem. If so please give me a answer.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

It's alot different than nylon. Try 4-5 wraps over your pull thread instead of 12. The metallic coating doesn't let the thread slide thru as easily but it also holds a bit better. It doesn't stretch as much as nylon either and won't take much abuse burnishing. It's a PIA but you'll get used to it after awhile.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

I am pulling under 5-6 wraps now, I was saying after 12 pulls the mono brakes. Maybe I should use some other material for the pull. I'm at a loss at this point of what to use.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

droppedit

lots of air in it too. Keep a close eye on bubbles, they can wait for hours to appear. I've used a thick sized pull loop (8-10 lb mono) but that doesn't always help. I try to keep the metallics  for trim bands.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

droppedit

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 24, 2018, 12:26:56 AM
I am pulling under 5-6 wraps now, I was saying after 12 pulls the mono brakes. Maybe I should use some other material for the pull. I'm at a loss at this point of what to use.

Joe

another use for swami's extra braid
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Reel 224

Quote from: droppedit on July 24, 2018, 12:31:10 AM

Joe

;D ;) That is a good idea! I also would use the metallic thread for trim, but this guy wants it all the way.Last time I do that for sure. But he is willing to pay extra so. :-X

Joe

Swami805

That's a great idea. Never used mono for a pull thread just another piece of thread usually size D. Going to try the braid, the slick stuff
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cor

Quote from: droppedit on July 24, 2018, 12:31:10 AM

Joe

I also use braid of various diameters.

Metallic thread is a nuisance, regardless where and how ou use it!
Cornelis

Fishy247

Bullard's sells some pretty good metallic thread. It doesn't seem to get the "springies" when you try to get it started. Pulls through quite nicely. I haven't had a problem with it at all. I usually 5-8 wraps then pull it through. Never did think of using braid though. I'll have to give that a try!

-Mike

Reel 224

Quote from: Fishy247 on July 24, 2018, 08:11:02 PM
Bullard's sells some pretty good metallic thread. It doesn't seem to get the "springies" when you try to get it started. Pulls through quite nicely. I haven't had a problem with it at all. I usually 5-8 wraps then pull it through. Never did think of using braid though. I'll have to give that a try!

-Mike

Bullard's? Now is VooDoo rods?

Joe

Midway Tommy

Metallic can be a pain in the rear to hold on a 4 wind trim. I cut both tags at the edges, slide it back into place and add a tiny drop of super glue to keep it from unraveling. I always pull with 4lb Royal Bonyl. It's really thin diameter but tough to break.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel 224

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 24, 2018, 08:44:20 PM
Metallic can be a pain in the rear to hold on a 4 wind trim. I cut both tags at the edges, slide it back into place and add a tiny drop of super glue to keep it from unraveling. I always pull with 4lb Royal Bonyl. It's really thin diameter but tough to break.

Tommy: In that case I will use thread cooler sealer, it's much better and it serves two purpose's.

Joe

oldmanjoe

:)   I have been using braid for my pulls for about 2 years now .    I keep a couple on hand , i use 15 pound braid with a bead or plastic ring so i don`t loose them.
         The braid is slick and pulls easy .   leaves a smaller tunnel ,not as thick as mono .
    The braid tens to be a little too limp so i put a ghost of ca glue to stiffin the loop , makes it easier to put the tag end in loop.
    A wooden dowel the size of a pencil put in the pencil sharper makes a great thread packer also.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

ReelFishingProblems

Great tips Joe, will be using some tonight. I'm building a rod for my 7 year old's birthday. Using a 4'7" lamiglass top section of a broken blank.

Using pro-wrap gold metallic. Had metallic black but was clumpy and separated easily. The gold isn't having any problems.

Fishy247

QuoteBullard's? Now is VooDoo rods?

It probably is. I usually get it from John Vadney. I'll try to remember to check when I get home.