Reel Repair Time

Started by RamseyReelRepair, July 25, 2018, 01:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

How about times for a Penn peerless no 9?
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

RamseyReelRepair

Lol ok how about bench time?

Gfish

1/2 hr. on the main reel, bout 2 hrs. adjustin the levelwinder.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RamseyReelRepair

Quote from: Gfish on July 31, 2018, 11:27:20 PM
1/2 hr. on the main reel, bout 2 hrs. adjustin the levelwinder.

Have you got carbontex drags in it? Just curious how they act with it

Gfish

Naw, I just cleaned it up for the owner, who may never use it again. It's fun to play around with stuff like that, especially if there's no financial stake in making it work right or it's not the go-to reel for the owner.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TheReelShop

I did 2 TLD 25's in 2 hours. I know that only because I focused on documenting the time. These were straight forward, had no issues, except for a lack of grease. I feel like I take more time because I address everything in the reel. I take reels apart literally into each and every single piece possible. This has to be why I probably take so long. I figure this probably isn't needed and I feel though as it should. Then in a lot of cases, I have internal parts with green corrosion, and then that requires me to grab my Dremel to clean the surfaces of these parts. Then, another factor for me is old old hard/or dark gunky grease. I have to do a good clean to remove it and that takes time. CRC 6-56 Marine lubricant does an amazing job at cleaning so I've stuck to it. I also clean out bearings that have removable shields, if not I fill them with the grease gun. All in all I feel I take long.

One big thing for me which I think affects my time, is my work space. I work in a small desk and its inside my home. I do not have a garage. Soon I will have a large 10x20 shed and it will be set up as storage but I will also be setting up a comfortable workbench.

Alto Mare

10x20 is a nice size, good luck with it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Jalseng

Every reel is different for me, Bait caster is what I work on the most as guys from my parts tend to be more of the Bass and Striper guys, Conventional reels are almost as simple just bigger parts so easier to manage. For some reason Spinning reels tend to give me more work as the drag is separated from the main reels and some of the gears tend to be offset. Like the Shimano Thunnus 4000, which took a few tries before it was perfectly align to work. Avg about 40 to 50 mins as I tend to double check to ensure I cleaned everything properly the first time.

Glos

This is why screw and screwdriver types are of importance. We all end up many times reopening those.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

exp2000

I really worry when I read the replies to this post.

But then again, I would not class myself as a professional in the strict sense of the word.

More like an insane hobbyist whose addiction is way out of control as I sometimes receive twenty reels in just a  week or two - something I am working to correct!

A simple ABU classic baitcaster usually takes 120 minutes to service.

Calcuttas and more sophisticated spinners, baitrunners etc take three hours.

Stellas and Saltigas take longer.

It's not often that I have to pull down a reel a second time but I do get the odd obscure fault where it may be necessary.

Reels are stripped down to component level and most parts washed in a ultrasonic cleaner.

Gears and crankshafts are brushed clean with a Dremel. Other components such as floating pinion sliding skirts are polished.

Bearings are cleaned of old grease, tested for smooth operation and then refreshed with quality lubricants.

Procedures are executed with attention to detail.
e.g. orientation of serviceable lever drag outside spool/pinion bearings are marked and then flipped upon reassembly to provide a fresh bearing surface for the axial load.

My clients appreciate the efforts I go to but sometimes I just have to declare time out as I can become too overwhelmed.

I really wish I could find a practical happy medium but unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be in my nature .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/
~

Keta

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on July 28, 2018, 02:15:03 AM
How about times for a Penn peerless no 9?

The LW is a PIA, I'd add 10-20 min to the average time to put a 9, 109, 209, 309, 10 and 210 back together.

I can do a non Raptor Avet in about 30 min unless the pinion bearing is fused in place.  The Avet EX30 a bit longer due to the way the bellville washers are and my arthritis.

If badly mistreated and corroded add 100% or more to the time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Pro Reel

Quote from: exp2000 on November 11, 2018, 04:15:42 PM
I really worry when I read the replies to this post.

But then again, I would not class myself as a professional in the strict sense of the word.

More like an insane hobbyist whose addiction is way out of control as I sometimes receive twenty reels in just a  week or two - something I am working to correct!

A simple ABU classic baitcaster usually takes 120 minutes to service.

Calcuttas and more sophisticated spinners, baitrunners etc take three hours.

Stellas and Saltigas take longer.

It's not often that I have to pull down a reel a second time but I do get the odd obscure fault where it may be necessary.

Reels are stripped down to component level and most parts washed in a ultrasonic cleaner.

Gears and crankshafts are brushed clean with a Dremel. Other components such as floating pinion sliding skirts are polished.

Bearings are cleaned of old grease, tested for smooth operation and then refreshed with quality lubricants.

Procedures are executed with attention to detail.
e.g. orientation of serviceable lever drag outside spool/pinion bearings are marked and then flipped upon reassembly to provide a fresh bearing surface for the axial load.

My clients appreciate the efforts I go to but sometimes I just have to declare time out as I can become too overwhelmed.

I really wish I could find a practical happy medium but unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be in my nature .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/
~

we're very similar to this at my shop. Professional Reel Service. proreelservice.com Anyway. 99% of my customers are tournament bass anglers or at least hard core weekenders. My service always was billed as a complete clean and tune. That means to the frame or almost to the frame and clean every parts as clean as possible. we also do a basic tuning of polishing some friction points that can be improved by being smoother, ends of worm gears that spin in a bushing, ends of spool shafts, most any sliding metal parts etc. We start by removing almost every part. We can usually leave brake systems together if they are clean. We have recirculating solvent tanks that we scrub all parts in. Most of those parts then go in an UC tank of simple green for additional cleaning or just a quick rinse to get solvents off. Bearings go in jar of camp stove gas and that jar goes in smaller UC tank. We run it 45 seconds or until it turns black, then drain and repeat with fresh until it stays gin clear. We then test spin, if still rough then they need replaced. If smooth or almost, then next step is high speed spin of bearings while submersed in solvent that flushs out the finest grit. Most bearings spin supoer smooth and quite after that. Everything is then dried and lubed during reasembly. for the average 200 size casting reels thats 1 hour. spin reels can be faster or slower, depends on how familiar i am with the model. Some reels like a shimano calais will have lots of extra screws and complicated hard to reach E clips. These can take 1.5 hours. If I'm really getting after it and the reel is pretty clean when it gets here, I can knock most out in 45 minutes. I charge $29 per reel for this service. Definatly not getting rich and could'nt do it as a full time job. Sometimes I will take a bunch of reels apart and have on trays, then the wife will clean all the parts while im at day job. That makes it a lot quicker. I also have a part time helper that does reels on commision. He gets $15 to do the reel and i handle everything else. I thouroughly check them over after he does them.
whit most reels, I know what parts need replaced, but quite often, you just can't tell until it's back together. At that point, if it's not perfect, it has to come back apart and replace the offending parts. Thats another 10 to 15 minutes.

I can't understand this idea of folks paying for and being happy with just having thier reels taken apart and regreased. My customers all expect the reel to come back looking like new money and working better than new.

I'm very curious what others charge and what they actually do to the reels.

steelhead_killer

All I know is that having two ultrasonic cleaners has really improved productivity.   Corrosion and general condition are the two variables that impact my efficiency.  Too often a good looking Tekota on the outside is a nightmare just to open up.  Only working on fresh water reels would be nice.  When bearings and pinions get corroded onto spool shafts...grrr    I am interested in how we all speed up the drying process after cleaning.  That seems to be an area that could be improved with the right tech or process/tool etc... short of hand drying each part there has to be a better way.  I still inspect all the parts after they are dried but getting them dried fast would be a big help.

ACS
><)))">