975 international lever drag

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

classic symptoms for a bad pinion (right main side plate) bearing!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phishface

Hi Tony: it happens at the lowest drag setting and gets worse as the drag is increased.
Hi Alan: Is it a good idea to buy the Full set of replacement bearings on eBay? Or should I ask, Alan where would you buy the replacement bearing? The freespool is so good, I wouldn't expect it to behave so differently under load, but I learn something every time I'm on this website, thanks To you both for your help.

Jerome.

alantani

it's gotta be the pinion bearing.  if you can measure it, then you can order the bearing from smoothdrag.com.  dawn will have a full inventory. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phishface

Ron Jones

Parts for this reel are readily available. I would suggest purchasing a new cover and modifying the current one; then, replace the part prior to selling.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Phishface

Mr. The Man:
That is an outstanding idea, and Alan you were absolutely correct, I pulled that bearing and it was in bad shape so I just called Dawn at SmoothDrag and ordered a new right side plate bearing #26 Size 19mm-OD 7mm-ID 6mm thick for those who have this same problem with this reel.

Jerome.

kevin cozens

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 04:51:24 PMthere's been some discussion of this reel in earlier posts.  i'm hoping that i can now bring everyone up to speed on the design issues that have brought so many of these reels to me for repair.  i will start out by saying that i think the penn 9 series internationals are beautiful reels.  i love the classic look of penn gold.  always have.  add that, for me,  the repair of any reel is personal, not business.  perhaps this is the reason that the 9 series internationals have been a particular disappointment.  here is the schematic.....

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/975LD.pdf

and here is a penn international 975 lever drag bait casting reel.

the first thing is to pull the rod clamp screws (key #34) and grease them.

back out the three "take apart screws" (key #38 and 38n)....

.... and remove the side plate assembly and spool assembly as a unit.

here's a shot of the left side plate bearing (key #55d).  take a moment now to lube the bearing, the clicker assembly, the idler gear (key #64) and worm shaft (key #42) with corrosion x. 

now, i'm going to remove the handle in this tutorial, but it is generally not necessary unless there is a problem with the right side plate bearing (key #26) or the anti-reverse roller bearing (key #98B).  to just service the spool, you can leave the handle on. 

remove the handle cap screw (key #32) and handle nut cap (key #110A).

remove the handle nut (key#23), the handle assembly (key #24), and the gear stud cover (key #9).

take a small pen knife and pry off the preset knob cap (key #144C).

remove the preset knob screw (key #50A), the preset knob (key #144) and the cam assembly (key #19).

the spool pulls straight out.  with everything lined up, it's time to start on the spool assembly.

ok, so here it is.  here's the problem with the penn 975 lever drag reel.  it's the same issue found in the accurate reels.  note the configuration of the drag cover.  when the drag lever (key #21) is pushed forward, the pressure plate/drive plate (key #117) forced against the drag washer and the spool is engaged. unlike the larger internationals, the center hole is large, allowing water intrusion. 

you can see the gap that is created.

the drag cover has reverse threads.  remove it by turning it clockwise. 

here is the water intrusion i was talking about.   note the surface rust on the bearing spring (key #41) and the right spool bearing (key #55B). 

here's a shot of the underside of the drive plate (key #117) and bearing (key #55).

i pried off the shields from the drive plate bearing (key #55) to show the rust inside.  this bearing is a 0.1875 x 0.375 x 0.125.

retaining ring pliers help to remove the spool retaining ring (key #69C).

fortunately, the middle spool bearing (key #55C) was rusted to the spool spindle (key #71R) and came right out when i pulled on it.  you may not be so fortunate.  screwing the preset knob back on the spool spindle gives you an easy way to pull the spindle out.  commonly, the middle spool bearing is stuck deep inside the spool.  removal can be extremely difficult.  the bearing on the left is 0.125 x 0.375 x 0.156 and the one in the middle is 0.1875 x 0.5 x 0.196.

here is a photo from another spool with the middle spool bearing stuck DEEP inside the spool. soaking in corrosion x and alot of wiggling with the spool spindle finally removed the bearing.

here is the heart of the problem with penn international 975 lever drag.

and to make matters worse, the drag washer is installed without drag grease....

ok, this is as far into the reel as we're going.  we're going to fix this and make sure it doesn't happen again!  first, let's grease the spool.

clean and then grease both sides of the drag washer.

install the drag washer and clean off the excess grease with a clean rag.

now for the bearings.  we'll clean them out, lube them with corrosion x and see how smoothly they spin.  i was actually able to rescue 1 out of 3.

the owner wanted this reel rigged for light duty, so the belleville disc clutch springs (key #18) were re-installed in a stock "()()" configuration. 

back into the spool it goes.

install the retaining ring (key #69C).

install the drive plate (key #117).

install the drag cover (key #156) and note the gap that is created when the drive plate is engaged from "free" to "strike."

the spool spindle is slotted and fits only one way into the side plate. 

install the cam assembly (key #19).

install the preset knob (key #144).

install the preset knob screw (key #50A).

press in the preset knob cap (key #144C).

grease the right side plate screw holes.

install the right side plate assembly.

install the gear stud cover (key #9), the handle (key #24) and handle nut (key #23).  put a little grease on the handle first.

install the handle nut cap (key #110A) and screw (key #32).

grease and install the rod clamp screws (key #34) if you have not done so already.

squirt a little corrosion x into the handle grip and you're done!

i wanted to get the spool rebuild portion out first.  the side plate rebuild portion will come out next, and i've been working on a way to decrease the risk of water intrusion by turning this penn lever drag reel into an avet by opening up the drag chamber.

update 6/4/2012 - when i first wrote this, i did not realize the importance of packing the right main side plate bearing with greaes.  in this case, the right side plate comes apart very easily.  the bearing is a 7 x 19 x 6.  it has to be pulled and serviced.  pull and clean the anti-reverse bearing while you are at it.  the AR bearing can be lubed with corrosion x. 

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
i noted that you injected grease into a thread hole. as a car mechanic by trade i was taught never to put oil or grease into a bling hole but to apply it the the screw or bolt. this is to prevent hydraulic action when screwing in the screw. in extreme cases it can split the housing or wont tighten correctly.