Reel seats

Started by JAW1973, July 26, 2018, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knotme

On the topic of reel seats, is there a "standard" minimum measurement between the hoods?  Reason I ask is that I just got a Shimano Terramar, 8'6", 50-65# rated, and I can't get my Penn 8500 SS in there.  The opening maxes at 2-11/16" and that's not quite enough.  Even my 6# rod opens up more than that so I have to wonder if this is some kind of assembly goof or worse, a design flaw.  The rear grip comes right up to the seat and there may be more than enough thread there to have it work if I just trim the grip but I hesitate to do that then find out I have a rod designed that way that I just ruined from the perspective of returning it.  You guys have any thoughts?  TIA

k

Swami805

Reel seats get longer as the diameter gets bigger. Must be a thin blank. I would consider taking it back if you can. They're might be threads under the grip that that would be unusual. Likely the rod was built for a shimano reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

knotme

Thanks for the input.  The blank measures 3/4" in diameter just in front of the front grip so does not appear very thin to me although I have no expertise in this.  That's why I was curious about a "common" minimal seat opening.  I just called the vendor and they told me that Shimano rods often won't manage Penn reels, which apparently have larger feet.  They're checking some of their inventory to see if my opening is unusually short.  Not really something I wanted to "discover."  Live and learn.

k