level wind bearing for 5000

Started by winston61, August 14, 2011, 01:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston61

Hello to all. I've got a late '60s 5000 that I'm cleaning and I'm going to replace the spool bushings with bearings. I'd also like to replace the level wind bushing with a bearing. Can anyone tell me how to measure this bushing to determine bearing size? Thanks to all.

alantani

it's inside diameter x outside diameter x height in millimeters.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Here ya go, just follow the link but be warned, while the bearings have shields on them they are still exposed to saltwater from the worm gear. I know from experience. I swapped out the bushing for bearings in my sons 6500 several years ago when he worked on a research boat. I hadn't seen the reel in about two months and get a message from him one day on Skype that the reel had froze up.

Well, long story short, salt water had gotten to the bearings and froze up. I took the bearings out and put the little nylon bushings went back in, hadn't had any problems since. JMO

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_49&products_id=6357

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Ken_D

Should you decide not to get the kit, and wish to source the parts either direct from Purefishing, or from various Abu dealers in your trading area, you can open schematics for the 5600C4, and 5600C5 Mag-X, Re: the part numbers, for the worm with 1 bb, and the one with the pair of bb's.

Given the tooling and time needed to install the ball bearing closest to the worm, it would behoove you to buy the worm with the bearing affixed as seen on the Mag-X. The outside bearing, you ~may~ be able to save a little money by buying that bb from one of the many bearing suppliers.

The spool bearings (imo) can be overkill, and tend to 'pay off' only when you cast stuff with the weight of a flea. Well-worn-in and oiled bushings will cast just as far and sometimes even farther than bb's with normal casting weights. And, as Roger indicated above, the salt is harsh. Bronze bushings don't seize up in the salt.

When added all up, Mike's price is actually very good. The downside is the time delay in the postal service, and the postal fees, between the two countries.  (It's the same going the other way. Both postal services are noticing a drop in business, and need to make up the revenue somewhere.)

redsetta

Good advice Ken.
x2 on your comments re: bronze bushings.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

winston61

I think I just go with the spool bearings. The point about the exposure of the level wind bearing is a good one.

Snagged2

If you do decide to install the bearing in the worm gear,, keep in mind, the stock worm gear cover,, is not machined to accept the bearing,,and, the Stainless steel ball bearing will not fit where the plastic bushing fits.

So, you'll have to either machine it (ream) up to 7mm ID, or buy the correct worm gear cover that is bearing ready. It's easier and more conducive to success to buy the proper cover!!