Older Intl 30 - clunking in freespool

Started by Fishead, July 21, 2018, 03:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

I have several old intl 30s. If I hold the reel upright in the fishing or rod holder position it is fine but if I lean it left a few degrees, I get a clunking sound. I have messed with the position and alignment of the washers on the shaft to no avail. There are 4 on the shaft right now and the are stacked like this ()(). Any thoughts on solving this?
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

alantani

two speed, two drag washers, free floating steel rotor, right?  yeah, they clunk.  always have.  never found a way to get rid of that.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishead

These are single speed with one drag washer. One is the old asbestos & one is the ht100.

alantani

you might have to shim the drag pressure plate away from the left side plate bearing.  it might be banging there. 

Fishead

I was thinking that might be the case since it happens when I tilt the reel to that side. What would you recommend for shims?

alantani

gotta measure the bearing ID and go from there.  i have an entire tray of stuff that i've accumulated over the years.  if you can tell me the ID of the left side plate bearing, i can dig out some for you.  send a pm with your address. 

Fishead

Thank You. I will do that later this week. Getting ready for lobster mini season now. Fishing gear takes backseat for 4 days a year starting today.

TheReelShop

My 30 makes noise leaning to the right. There is some play on the gear sleeve enough to cause the sound and goes away when I pull away. I shimmed that and I will also shim the right side of the spool ()()|

Agree with Alan shim the left side

TheReelShop

I did the above mentioned and the reel still makes a noise. I assembled my reel without the dogs (to hear the noise better), put it in freespool, held thepool with my hand and kind of jerk the handle in either direction and I can hear as if something is loose on the left side. Its as if something is spinning immediately right after the handle is stopped from being turned.