Tru Temper 747

Started by thorhammer, July 30, 2018, 03:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

My buddy, Boats, came across a vintage honey Lami 11'6' with this 747 on it at a yardsale for $5. I wanted the rod but he gave me both for servicing his squidders. With to proce of oversize shipping now, a win.

This is perm left-hand crank, so no screw on the offside. I tried to backwind the handle to remove but it's not coming, and I don't want to gorilla it and break something there are no parts for. Any word on how this comes apart? It's MIJ with three BB's, about the size of an 850SS. Three leather drags look like a direct swap for 155 carbontex, and I'd really like to get this one up and running. Still fish left in it. Any advise appreciate....I'm gonna drop the whole thing in the soak now, I expect there is old grease, sand and probably the crankshaft is corroded into the main. we'll see.

John

mo65

Never had one of these John...but I've been wondering what they look like under the hood. Take some pics when you dive in. Here's a good photo of one...about all I could find while googlin' fer a schematic. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

thanks Mike! Mine doesn't look near that good, but at 50 YO neither do I! That pic is useful though...I managed to pry the whole plate, gear and handle off and dropped right in soak. your pic tells me where to focus. Pics if I can make something here. Inside was a trainwreck as I figured....

John

mo65

It looks like a sizable steel threaded hole there...so I bet you can get it apart without busting it. If you click on that photo it will open to Flickr where you can zoom on it. Maybe Fred or Tommy might have some info on this one.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

The whole thing is pretty stout....big BB's supporting the crank. I'm going to give it extra effort to bring this one back. Even the Daiwa's etc. of the time period usually didn't have but a BB on pinion.

Midway Tommy

Nothing extremely unique about their construction. They were made by Olympic in the early '70s. The handle removes by turning it in reverse. If it were mine I would remove the pin from the crank and dust cover. Then you can add some vinegar or penetrating oil into the groove where it screws into the main gear shaft. Then I'd use an open end wrench the size of the flat sided shaft or a vice grip, secure the ratchet gear and keep working it back and forth until it pops loose.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

Good, Tommy, that was my plan so I'm glad I'm on base. After degrease it will let get simple creep (good stuff and not smelly like PB Blaster) and sit a day or three.

Thanks, gents!