alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Snapped another Terez rod
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 18, 2019, 10:32:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snapped another Terez rod  (Read 2561 times)
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« on: August 03, 2018, 05:02:55 AM »

My TZC-70M snapped nearly in the middle.  This is like the 4th Terez that has been snapped on fish in the last 6 years.  I is very fustrating.  I have 4 Terez, and two of them are snapped.

Newell Nut
Firearms Group

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »

Two of my Florida buddies have snapped them too.
Swami805

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 09:55:14 AM »

Graphite is brittle. If you’re bouncing fish with the rod you’ll break one once and awhile, just the nature of the beast. Can’t beat it for lightness and sensitivity but there’s a trade off in overall strength compared to fiberglass. You could try sending them back, you never know they might replace them or maybe a credit towards a new one
Decker

One fish, two fish, redfish, bluefish.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »

Not a cheap rod.  Hope you get some compensation.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »

Only rods I have ever broken while fishing, have been graphite.

NOTHING ruins an expensive trip faster than a rod snapped in two when fighting a fish.

For me, it is not worth the grief or the chance that the graphite blank will hold together without failing.

For the type of money spent on these Shimano Terez’s — a much better rod could be sourced through one of our expert rod-makers on site for comparable cost.

Shimano used to be a good company — for reels, rods, parts, and service.

Now they have transitioned from an over the counter exchange policy — to a “Limited One Year” warranty.

Nice...for a $260 rod!

They claim that their original Limited Lifetime Warranty was never meant to cover accidents, abuse, or normal wear and tear.

I understand all of that.

But in your case, the only “accident” was loyally buying their product multiple times.

Here is part of Shimano’s new policy.  Obviously edited and written by the legal department, as well as the Corporate Suits:

Shimano’s limited warranty covers the rod against non-conformities in material and workmanship. While frequently misunderstood, the limited lifetime warranty has never been an unconditional warranty that covers normal wear and tear, accidents or abuse. In order to verify the reason for a claim, Shimano requires that a rod being returned for warranty replacement pass the warranty inspection process.

This is not the first time I have heard of this issue with Shimano rods.

And we need to remember, that most major companies do not make their own blanks and rods.  They are sourced through the lowest bidder that meets their criteria.  In over 90% of the cases — that means the rods are built in Asian factories and labeled to spec.

Just my personal opinions...

Best,

Fred

“We are all made better and stronger than our excuses”

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »

What breaks rods are boats and automobiles, not fish.  I think it is when the rod bounces around and slaps something sideways that the graphite cracks.  Then, sometime later, the rod is bent in such a way as to open the crack and it snaps.
-steve
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »

Yup, Steve.  I agree.  Ruben pack it up and send it back with a note saying it broke reeling in a fish.  If nothing comes of it you only out the postage.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »

Yup, Steve.  I agree.  Ruben pack it up and send it back with a note saying it broke reeling in a fish.  If nothing comes of it you only out the postage.  Dominick

Postage is not cheap and this is not the first time I've sent a rod back to them.  The issue that the rods break in the car, I find that argument at this point to be spacious at best.

It is not abuse of the rod to move it back and forth to the boat 200 times a year.  It is an essential part of it being a rod.  I've read these reports on the Terez and G. Loomis, St Croix etc.... this is not abuse.  This is a PRODUCT DESIGN FLAW.

Aiala
Sensei

Palm Springs, CA... Desert Angler!

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »

Invest some extra $$ and ask Newell Nut to build you a custom rod. It'll outlast you, your kids, grandchildren and etcetera.  Cool

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  Cheesy
Swami805

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »

Look into composite rods and blanks too, a blend of graphite and fiberglass. A little heavier and not quite as sensitive but a good compromise. Calstar and Seeker are popular out here. I've gone thru several G Loomis graphite rods that broke and those were made in Washington before shimano bought the company. They were pretty good about either replacing or giving a discount on another one. Now I think G Loomis is made offshore too.
Steve is right about graphite,one thwack on something can cause a small crack or chip that will compromise the blank, then pulling on a fish it breaks.
Not likely to find a factory wrapped rod that will match up to a custom job by a competent builder. There's not much money to be made building rods, most who do it take pride in the workmanship as opposed to a grinder factory job for a paycheck. A big plus is getting a rod built to your specs for the way you fish.
For that kind of money I'd send it back and see if they won't cut you some slack especially if you have 3.
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »

The unfortunate part with those is a small scratch creates a weak spot and that's where the problem might begin. Curious if both rods broke in the same approximate area?

I carried them at the shop for a while but turned out to be problematic and too costly overall.

Hopefully they will make good on it as its not a cheap rod by any means. Let us know how you make out. Hopefully it will go your way. I'm not positive but I think there was a $20.00 surcharge the last time I shipped a rod?

..................Lou
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

Like Aiala said let Newell nut make you a custom rod, I have never broken a rod that I made and no one has broken one that I have made.

Joe  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:11:22 PM by foakes » Logged

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
philaroman

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »

...but costume rods can only be used on Halloween  Grin Grin Grin

seriously, though...

snapped the tip on a Loomis IMX as a result of minor/minimal/miniscule high-sticking  Cry Cry Cry
cried, cursed, kicked stuf & never paid big bucks for high-modulus, again
good 'ole glass or well-made IM-6, ALL THE WAY
feather-light + super-sensitive = fragile
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 03:18:10 PM »

It all depends on what equipment your looking to last and look good, most guys have put a lot of money in reels and pride in what they have created in hot rode reels, so why not build a nice custom rod to show off the outfit. Huh?.................................Joe 

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
philaroman

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 03:41:35 PM »

hey, I definitely want a custom rod, but if I ever pay for one,
it'll be premium vintage glass tricked out w/ the finest modern Fuji components
I'd LOVE some titanium SiC's on a honey/tobacco/Fen blank
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: