New Custom UC Rail Rods by: Jeff, aka "Rivverrat"

Started by Darin Crofton, August 01, 2019, 06:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Grips are EPDM. A soft but so far very durable foam. Better than some other options. Section of th foam grip are covered with a double layer of heat shrink.

Guides are Alps HXN's. Given my own choice I like Fuji guides. But Alps guides are fine.

Reel seat is Alps CAH LX. Alps reel seats are probably the best option out right now for heavy durability.
The rest is all just thread work &
marbleing... Jeff

Decker

Beautiful work!   May I ask, what a "rail rod" is?   Pretty sure it is a rod made with a long fore-grip to lean on a boat rail, but would like to know more...

Rivverrat

A rail rod is one that is built in such a way that the fore grip can be laid on the rail & used as a pry bar to gain line.  Fiberglass tip with heavy wall lower section.

Primarily used for big tuna to help make short work gaining line when they are doing their death circles straight down close to the boat.

A regular rod of the same line class would most likely come apart used in this manner.

I will add here that Randy Penny made the first ever rail rods when he was with Seeker. He is now owner of United Composites.

The UC line of rail rods is unmatched by any other rods made by any one. They need to be felt with a heavy bend in them to truly appreciate & understand them.

Some of the models in this line up do very well & are extremely practical for other types of fishing. I use 8' Raptors for my heavy rods fishing my favorite rivers. They are great live bait rods... Jeff

conchydong

Rivverrat

Alto Mare

Jeff, I love the color combination on those...nice job!

Enjoy the rods Darin! i'm sure they'll be around for a very long time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Decker on August 02, 2019, 04:55:10 PM
Beautiful work!   May I ask, what a "rail rod" is?   Pretty sure it is a rod made with a long fore-grip to lean on a boat rail, but would like to know more...

First let me say nice looking rod.

Using the rail is really not something new here in So Cal long rang fishing. I saw it done on my first long range trip and that was in about 1980. What is new is a rod designed to do it better. Normally a more stout butt section transitioning up the blank to softer tip, a rod a bit longer is also used to help keep the fish form rubbing the line against the boat when it is time to gaff the fish. This pretty much constitutes a rail rod.

Really the first rods designed like this has do to the use of spectra lines and fluoro topshots. With less stretch in the line one need pulling power (stout butt sections) and a softer tip so the fisherman/fish does not pull the hook with head shakes and alike. Then a tad longer blank soon followed to help with the rail fighting

Other things were added like a longer fore grip, the use of products like 3M's cold shrink or alike to aide in not wearing down the fore grip while using the rail as a lever and going back to older style ring guides and not using roller guides any longer for stand up style fish fighting.

In the last about 10 years rail use has expanded and now is pretty common. Many people are doing it and the manufactures have came out with designs in their blanks to aid in this.

Decker

Thanks, RiverRat and SoCal for the explanation. 

Gobi King

Jeff,
Why fuji over alps guides?

Thanks for the details, again those are very nice rods, well done!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Rivverrat

Quote from: Gobi King on August 07, 2019, 01:37:04 AM
Jeff,
Why fuji over alps guides?

Thanks for the details, again those are very nice rods, well done!

I believe based on what I've seen that Fuji has much better quality control. I see far less variation within the model & same size of guides among Fuji than probably any other maker I've used. My favorite on my personal rods are Fuji  Alconite. Lite weight with extreme durability.  

However dont let my preference deter you from using Alps. Over all they work just fine. Numerous very huge, hard fighting fish have been brought to boat & bank with rods sporting Alps guides... Jeff

Shark Hunter

I have to agree with you on Fuji Guides Jeff. I love them.
Awesome work on those rods my man!
Top Notch. ;)
Life is Good!