Snapped another Terez rod

Started by mrbrklyn, August 03, 2018, 01:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

My TZC-70M snapped nearly in the middle.  This is like the 4th Terez that has been snapped on fish in the last 6 years.  I is very fustrating.  I have 4 Terez, and two of them are snapped.

Newell Nut

Two of my Florida buddies have snapped them too.

Swami805

Graphite is brittle. If you're bouncing fish with the rod you'll break one once and awhile, just the nature of the beast. Can't beat it for lightness and sensitivity but there's a trade off in overall strength compared to fiberglass. You could try sending them back, you never know they might replace them or maybe a credit towards a new one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Decker

Not a cheap rod.  Hope you get some compensation.

foakes

Only rods I have ever broken while fishing, have been graphite.

NOTHING ruins an expensive trip faster than a rod snapped in two when fighting a fish.

For me, it is not worth the grief or the chance that the graphite blank will hold together without failing.

For the type of money spent on these Shimano Terez's — a much better rod could be sourced through one of our expert rod-makers on site for comparable cost.

Shimano used to be a good company — for reels, rods, parts, and service.

Now they have transitioned from an over the counter exchange policy — to a "Limited One Year" warranty.

Nice...for a $260 rod!

They claim that their original Limited Lifetime Warranty was never meant to cover accidents, abuse, or normal wear and tear.

I understand all of that.

But in your case, the only "accident" was loyally buying their product multiple times.

Here is part of Shimano's new policy.  Obviously edited and written by the legal department, as well as the Corporate Suits:

Shimano's limited warranty covers the rod against non-conformities in material and workmanship. While frequently misunderstood, the limited lifetime warranty has never been an unconditional warranty that covers normal wear and tear, accidents or abuse. In order to verify the reason for a claim, Shimano requires that a rod being returned for warranty replacement pass the warranty inspection process.

This is not the first time I have heard of this issue with Shimano rods.

And we need to remember, that most major companies do not make their own blanks and rods.  They are sourced through the lowest bidder that meets their criteria.  In over 90% of the cases — that means the rods are built in Asian factories and labeled to spec.

Just my personal opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

What breaks rods are boats and automobiles, not fish.  I think it is when the rod bounces around and slaps something sideways that the graphite cracks.  Then, sometime later, the rod is bent in such a way as to open the crack and it snaps.
-steve

Dominick

Yup, Steve.  I agree.  Ruben pack it up and send it back with a note saying it broke reeling in a fish.  If nothing comes of it you only out the postage.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Invest some extra $$ and ask Newell Nut to build you a custom rod. It'll outlast you, your kids, grandchildren and etcetera.  8)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Swami805

Look into composite rods and blanks too, a blend of graphite and fiberglass. A little heavier and not quite as sensitive but a good compromise. Calstar and Seeker are popular out here. I've gone thru several G Loomis graphite rods that broke and those were made in Washington before shimano bought the company. They were pretty good about either replacing or giving a discount on another one. Now I think G Loomis is made offshore too.
Steve is right about graphite,one thwack on something can cause a small crack or chip that will compromise the blank, then pulling on a fish it breaks.
Not likely to find a factory wrapped rod that will match up to a custom job by a competent builder. There's not much money to be made building rods, most who do it take pride in the workmanship as opposed to a grinder factory job for a paycheck. A big plus is getting a rod built to your specs for the way you fish.
For that kind of money I'd send it back and see if they won't cut you some slack especially if you have 3.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

STRIPER LOU

The unfortunate part with those is a small scratch creates a weak spot and that's where the problem might begin. Curious if both rods broke in the same approximate area?

I carried them at the shop for a while but turned out to be problematic and too costly overall.

Hopefully they will make good on it as its not a cheap rod by any means. Let us know how you make out. Hopefully it will go your way. I'm not positive but I think there was a $20.00 surcharge the last time I shipped a rod?

..................Lou

Reel 224

Like Aiala said let Newell nut make you a custom rod, I have never broken a rod that I made and no one has broken one that I have made.

Joe  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

philaroman

...but costume rods can only be used on Halloween  ;D ;D ;D

seriously, though...

snapped the tip on a Loomis IMX as a result of minor/minimal/miniscule high-sticking  :'( :'( :'(
cried, cursed, kicked stuf & never paid big bucks for high-modulus, again
good 'ole glass or well-made IM-6, ALL THE WAY
feather-light + super-sensitive = fragile

Reel 224

It all depends on what equipment your looking to last and look good, most guys have put a lot of money in reels and pride in what they have created in hot rode reels, so why not build a nice custom rod to show off the outfit. ???.................................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

philaroman

hey, I definitely want a custom rod, but if I ever pay for one,
it'll be premium vintage glass tricked out w/ the finest modern Fuji components
I'd LOVE some titanium SiC's on a honey/tobacco/Fen blank

bluefish69

Ruben

Go over to pier 5 Ocean Eagle ask for Billy V [Billy 40] & see what he has in rack rods. I don't expect you to get a rod like he made for me but he has rods already made on the boat.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.